Gonna buy a pistol

Which brand of semi-auto .40 S&W

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HRstretch

I plan a purchasing a semi-auto pistol soon and am looking for a reasonably priced model. Looking at the Taurus, Smith and Wesson, Sig etc.

Caliber will be .40 S&W

I most likely will go with a polymer frame, 4" minimum barrel, and don't care if it is a stainless or chrome moly slide.

I have never owed a semi auto only revolvers so looking for input.

Used for home defense amd concel/carry when get certified (if I need to carry) and tracking pigs and other animals in the South Texas brush. I'm 6'5" so I have larger than average hands.

Last edited:
Whats it gonna be used for??

I'm a Glock fan , dead nuts reliable and they fit my hand well but I got big hands, the grip angle has become my natural point so its not a prolem. The S&W XD is also a nice pistol seems to be as reliable as the Glock and actualy built a bit better , the grips seem to fit most folks alot more easly and the grip angle is more neutral.
I've shot the Sig 229 and 226 a good bit and never realy liked it , just diden't feel right for me.
I have an H&K and I like it , it has malfunctioned tomany time for me to consider it a carry weapon but it shoots nice.
\the biggest thing is to go to a shop that you can hold the gun and see if it feels right to you

Whats it gonna be used for??

I'm a Glock fan , dead nuts reliable and they fit my hand well but I got big hands, the grip angle has become my natural point so its not a prolem. The S&W XD is also a nice pistol seems to be as reliable as the Glock and actualy built a bit better , the grips seem to fit most folks alot more easly and the grip angle is more neutral.
I've shot the Sig 229 and 226 a good bit and never realy liked it , just diden't feel right for me.
I have an H&K and I like it , it has malfunctioned tomany time for me to consider it a carry weapon but it shoots nice.
\the biggest thing is to go to a shop that you can hold the gun and see if it feels right to you

See edited first post. Last sentence. Been holding different pistols at stores. I noticed that when I grip all of these above mentioned pistols if I look down the sites I naturally am pointing to the right. Only on the 1911 type frames did it seem that my grip held the gun in a straight point and shoot direction. (if that made any sense)

Last edited:
I was going to buy a S&W XD for my birthday last year but ended up picking up a used S&W 99 (45 cal) & couldn't put it down. Loved the way it fit my hand & the price was right so it went home with me. Smooth trigger pull & suprizingly accurate considering "I" was shooting it.

A Quality 1911 is not a bad way to go. I like mine

Huntington1911AndDPSGoldDotAccuracy.jpg

That's 8 shots...

another vote for the Springfield XD in 45. I would buy the compact model instead of the full size as it is easier for CCW. It takes the full size mags also for reloads.

Now if CCW is your main concern then the Kahr 45 is the absolute cream of the crop. Three sizes and super easy to conceal and if you are used do revolvers, you will love the Kahr trigger pull, just like a super smooth tricked out revolver.

BH

I like the 45 and I just purchased a kimber raptorII. I don't know much about pistols but was told by several to go with a 1911 frame.

For concealed carry, I like the Kahr CW40. The others are just too big. Next, I'd look at an ultra carry from Kimber. The Kahr is compact, easy to hide, and comfortable to wear. The Kimbers are sweet 1911's, very shootable, nice triggers, just a bit bulkier.

I don't get the concealed carry gun idea. If I am going to carry a gun I want everyone to see it. That way they know I have a gun and if I am displaying it then I probably know how to use it. Seems to be a mutual destruction theory thing isn't it?

I am going to have to handle some other guns to get more comfortable to the un-holster point and click. I was a little surprised at the fact the smaller frame pistols all pointed to the right when I took them and looked down the barrel. Might have been because I was trying not to point at any one and was trying to be as discreet as possible?

Also I have to get comfortable with all the moving parts and buttons on what I purchase. Hard to beat a double action revolver on simple.

Another thing I need to see is how much more weight does a full magazine add. That has to make a difference. Can't see a gun store letting me slam a loaded magazine into a gun to see how it balances.

I voted "other", I am a Glock fan. I've owned and/or shot several 1911's, Berettas, S&W, Ruger, HK, Sig. In the end though, the Glock is simple, reliable, and accurate. What else do you need?

For CCW I prefer a full size 1911 or N frame S&W. Yes they are large and you have to want to carry them, but if I am going to need one I want the best option in power and shootability/

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.