Going to get a custom .300 win mag

parlaan

Just moved in from Melbourne, Australia, now in Da
Okay so I am going to get a custom .300 winchester magnum rifle. It is going to have a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25 scope. I have never had anything customized before with rifles so I was kind of wondering what you guys think I should get on it. I am going to be shooting white tail deer between 300 and possibly 800 yards, elk to as far as 600-650 yards, and the occasional moose at ranges as far as 400 to 500 yars. And every animal size inbetween (rams, prong horn, caribou, ect). And it just needs to weigh 12 pounds or less, no more. From yall's experience (hopefully) what would you suggets I get for it. Stock, action, magazine, brand of barrel (PacNor, Browning, ect), barrel length, trigger type, trigger pull, type of stock, barrel type, scope rings, ect. Thank you all very much for even just reading that much! Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Are you going full custom? whats your price range and when do you need it?

For a Semi custom , I'd start with a rem700 action $350
have it blue printed $150 then get a good barrel from Rock Creek , Lilja , Hart , Kreiger or any of the other quality makers and have that fitted $300 barrel+$150 install , next would be to get a good stock , either a quality Laminated from Joel Russo or a good Synthetic from say HS Precision , $250-$300.
after the critical work is all done and put together , you'll need a good set of rings and bases , after recieving a set from Gleen Seekins yesterday I highly recomend his product , they are very well made and for the price are hard to beat , $225 for rings and base

All these prices are a ball park figure and can be higher depening on what exactly you want.
For the barrel , I get a 26" in the Remington factory Sendero conture or say a #6 profile ,that will be heavy enough for steady shooting at long range yet not to heavy to carry.

trued 700reciever, I've heard good things about ABS barrels and have a lilja that shoots pretty good. Got a rock creek that i will see how it shoots. I like my hs precisions but they could use an adjustable cheekpiece with the 56mm objective of the NXS.

I guess if I was going to build a 300 win and I had 4k. I would go with a Lawton or bat action. A fluted rock creek, hart, or lilja barrel 28in or 26 remington varmit contour. I would look into a manners stock or a quality laminate of some sort. Then I would top it off with Night force rings and bases along with a 5.5-22x56 NXS Then have it put together by a good smith and walla. May I ask why the 300win for a cartridge. Not that there is anything wrong with it just wondering why that over an ultra.

Parlaan, I would seriously reconsider going with a 300 RUM instead of 300 win mag. You will be much better off for the ranges and game you are after (moose). You can shoot the 180 Accubond at 3300 fps and maybe use the 200 AB for moose. 300 WM is a little lacking for me.

I would go with a Borden Action, McMillan Remington Hunter stock (magnum fill), #7 Lilja Barrel (Fluted, 'cause it looks real cool!), Jewell Trigger is a must.

Good Luck.

Remember moose is on one extreme of the animals he listed. Pronghorn is on the other. 300WM is already well over-gunned for pronghorn, and a 300WM will be more than sufficient for a moose. I saw a guy take one at 450 with a 270. A 270 would be far from my first choice at that range, but it did fine and a 300WM is a lot more gun than that.

The 300 rum clearly outperforms a 300 wm at 800 yards. If it was my gun, I'd go with a 7mm stw. I prefer 7mm's to 30 cal's anyway. But, as far as 30 cals go, I'll take the 300 rum.

Parlaan, look at the Lawton 7500 Action. I just ordered one for my project. Kirby did a test on the Lawton Actions compared to the BAT's and the results were interesting. The Lawton Actions were about as good as the BAT's. I have heard some awesome things about the Lawton Actions and Barny and Candi are really helpful. I paid the following for my Action and other items;

1. Lawton 7500 Action, 1.450 Dia, Fluted Bolt, and oversized bolt knob $775.00
2. Lawton SS 20MOA Base $80.00
3. SS Trigger Guard $38.00
4. Krieger 30" barrel $360.00
5. Jewel trigger $190.00
6. Vias muzzle brake $132.00

Hope this helps.

Jake

Wildcatter, Curious about the Rem Hunter Stock. Have you worked with one?

Takman, its a great stock. I have 2. If you like a hunting style stock, it can't be beat. They make this stock for other actions besides remingington. Winchester, Sako, and i'm sure a few others. I have one for a Rem 700 and one for a pgw (rem 700 dimensions).

For the ranges he listed for what hes hunting, the 300 WIN is more then enough. The 300 RUM would just be wasted barrel life. RUM's are really only good for shooting starting at about 600 yards. There really not needed for anything under that. Most of your shots are going to be under 1000 yards and any 7 mag or 300 mag is fully capable taking deer and elk that far. They do it with a lot less powder and kick, and also give 2x the barrel life. Not saying the 300 RUM doesn't have its place, I've had both and prefer the smaller mags now a days. I guess it also boils down to how much the guys gonna shoot.

Cant really add to whats already been said about the rifle set up. I'd stick with a 200g AB, or 210g VLD or SMK at around 2900fps and you'll have more then enough gun for what your wanting to do. You'll also get more then 60 shells a pound of powder and 1000 rounds of barrel life in the meantime...

You can build what you want for lot less than $4k.

I would start one of three ways.

Option 1. buy standard Rem PSS in 300 at around $800. Skim bed it, tune the trigger, lap the lugs and maybe rechamber if it does not shoot accurate enough (cost for that is $175-200). Total cost for the gun tweaked is $1000-1200. Scope, leup 4-16x with TMR another $800 or Swarovski/Kahles with TDS.

Option two. custom action either Stiller Predator or Lawton 7000 (IMO no logical reason for extra weight of the 1.450 for hunting gun in 300 Win) both for under $750 and good to go out of box with Rem footprint and accept rem triggers and metal. This is a hunting gun, no need for $200 trigger set at 2.5 lbs when a tuned Rem will do that for 1/3 cost. As for stocks, go to www.brownells.com and look. HS Precision $300-500 to include the thumbholes at 2 lbs to the 3.5 lb tactical models, plus a variety of others. Barrels- Broughton, Rock, Krieger (take your pick) 1-11 twist for up to 220 grains finished at 26" with number 5-6 contour cost is max $500 chambered. lilja normally has these in stock for example. Standard rem trigger that is tuned and cost is $80. Rem bottom metal w/wyatts box $125. bases rings $100, bedding and other misc gunmithing $400.

No need to do anything else and under $2k. Same recommendation on scope. Weight will be right at 9-12 lbs depending on stock and scope.

Option 3. Go to New Ultra Light Arms, buy it built finished with a weight of 4.5-6 lbs, and normally well under 1". Absolutely top notch lightweight hunting rifles that everyone else is trying to copy. Cost is $2600 and in stock normally.

I have a Rem SPS in 300 WSM with 2.4 lb Bruce Baer thumbhole butternut stock with 26" Lilja #4 with Kahles 3-9 with TDS at is 9 lbs and will do exactly what you are asking.

any decent riflesmith can do this. does not have to be 14lb with sniper fill stock or high dollar tactical smith. Look at any of the "top recommended smiths" section on www.6mmbr.com or one of the smiths here on LR hunting. Tthis is really not a complicated or high dollar build so do not get sucked into another $2k spent that you do not need.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.