Keep the Sendero a 300 win mag or go 7mm rem mag ?

I've heard rumour that they may actually start replacing the 308 with a 6.5mm of some sort. At least in a couple outfits. I'd be very suprisednif they changed from the 308 despite the 6.5mm cartridges benefits.
I have and will always love the .308 Win, but I've said for years that the military missed their mark not putting any serious thought into utilizing the 7mm-08 as a sniper round. Sleeker 7mm bullets, higher BC's with lighter weights, higher velocities, etc...

The only reason the military keeps running the 308 is due to the 1000's of train loads of ammo they have on hand , not to mention the decades of training invested . This post coming from personal experience.

I have and will always love the .308 Win, but I've said for years that the military missed their mark not putting any serious thought into utilizing the 7mm-08 as a sniper round. Sleeker 7mm bullets, higher BC's with lighter weights, higher velocities, etc...
Plenty of 6.5mm /7mm cartridges that beat the 308. As far as I know they've pretty much started using the 300 winny for just about all sniping situations past 600 yards.

300 win mag. The bearing surface on the 7 bullets. Hard to drive a heavy 7 over 2800. In a 26 inch 300mag can do 2900 without pushing it hard. Go with a 9 twist 28 or 30 inch barrel. Also look at Barnes 200 l r x or hammer bullets. Too other good choices.
Go to a drive band bullet and that problem is quickly eliminated.

Even with traditional bullets though running through the STW's 3000FPS or better with 175-180's isn't an issue.

Exactly my point, Ed. For them, they've been dead-set on .30's since WWI, and they're not going to change anytime soon. They wouldn't even consider the 7mm RemMag as a viable option, despite how well it might could prove itself to be another viable cartridge alternative. So why should I worry about what the military uses as "good enough" reasoning for selecting one over the other?

I'm pretty sure they've considered it but opted for the .308 cal after all their extensive R&D or based on the Performance Work Statement/Agency Tender of the contract regardless if you agree or not.

The only reason the military keeps running the 308 is due to the 1000's of train loads of ammo they have on hand , not to mention the decades of training invested . This post coming from personal experience.

I can attest to that, investment is a long-term commitment and is critical to the accomplishment of the mission. This post is also coming from a real world personal experience.

Powder choice is everything with a 7RM.
I run a leisurely 2996fps with a 180 Hybrid over H1000 out of my 26" 1:8.5" 7RM. I will be starting load development trying RL26 after I get back from elk hunting however. I killed my big bull this year at 662 with that combo.

I have a .280AI that is pushing a 175 Elite Hunter over RL23 @ 2975fps from a 26" 1:9". Which is why I will be trying for some more speed frolm my 7RM.

If you have a .280AI, go for a heavier bullet over RL23 or RL26 to get you close to 7RM performance, and rebarrel to .300WM 26" 1:10"or 1:9". Push a 215 or 230 over RL26 or RL33 to wring as much out of it as you can.

I just started load development for my 7RM using 69.1gr RL 26 and 162 ELD-X. I'm getting 1/4" 3 shot groups at 100 yards with 26" Bartlein 5R 8.5 twist barrel at 3175fps.

I just started load development for my 7RM using 69.1gr RL 26 and 162 ELD-X. I'm getting 1/4" 3 shot groups at 100 yards with 26" Bartlein 5R 8.5 twist barrel at 3175fps.
That's smokin! See what you can do with a 175 ELD-X

If your wanting to shoot the 195's in the 7 I'd go with a 28 nosler not a 7mm mag. I personally would stick with the 300 win mag. If you want your wife to shoot it put a brake on it. More then likely she will want one even with the 7 rem mag

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.