7mm Rem Mag & 300 Win Mag

I've got a very hard to find Mod 70 Classic/Stainless in 300 Rum, it's about a 7lbs rifle plus the scope and I'm really surprised how enjoyable it is to shoot with the North West Precision Muzzle Break. Shooting 180's it wasn't too bad even before the brake.

The 300wm though is my 2nd favorite behind the STW. My love affair with the 7mm STW is just something I doubt I'll ever get over.

I'm really struggling over what to take to Africa next time around but I have a feeling it's going to be the 375R because I may be including buffalo, hippo, and an elephant thanks to a dear friend who has invited me help him do some culling.

For the rest I'm really leaning towards the model 70 Laredo 7mm STW since it's my favorite rifle overall and there will be a lot of wildebeest and smaller animals on the menu.

I've got a very hard to find Mod 70 Classic/Stainless in 300 Rum, it's about a 7lbs rifle plus the scope and I'm really surprised how enjoyable it is to shoot with the North West Precision Muzzle Break. Shooting 180's it wasn't too bad even before the brake.

The 300wm though is my 2nd favorite behind the STW. My love affair with the 7mm STW is just something I doubt I'll ever get over.

I'm really struggling over what to take to Africa next time around but I have a feeling it's going to be the 375R because I may be including buffalo, hippo, and an elephant thanks to a dear friend who has invited me help him do some culling.

For the rest I'm really leaning towards the model 70 Laredo 7mm STW since it's my favorite rifle overall and there will be a lot of wildebeest and smaller animals on the menu.

You and me both, my friend. It gets in your blood. :cool:

I have loaded shot and packed both considerably in the last several years, here are a few of my observations,
1 in most rifles seating depth is restricted in the magazine with a 300 unless you modify with a Wyatt's where the 7 RM has plenty room usually to seat out.
2 If I were mostly hunting Elk I would go with the 300, not a big edge but a slight one. the 7 will get it done for sure but with a slightly smaller hole .
3, In the same rifle ,with the same BC bullet, same brand and style and same velocity the 7mm has less recoil.
4. Living in Louisiana means that deer and hogs are my primary quarry except for my annual trip to Rocky's for bear, deer or elk I am kind of over gunned with a 7rm . The 7mm will flatten any southern game that walks.
With all this being said I am waiting on a 7mm RM build to return from the machine shop so I can complete my rifle build . This rifle will wear a #7 Douglas ss air guage and will set in a Bobby hart lrt stock until the McMillian arrives , rifle scoped will come in around 12lbs it should be a sweetie and I will lug it around in the Rockies as well .

Not really. The 300wm carries considerably more energy with comparable bullets and at long range the higher BC bullets available for the 300wm really start to shine.

The only bullet in Bergers world that has a higher bc that a Berger 7mm is the Berger .338 cal 300 Hybrid.

Just sayin.

The only bullet in Bergers world that has a higher bc that a Berger 7mm is the Berger .338 cal 300 Hybrid.

Just sayin.

You are correct.

Also, as far as I'm aware, Berger bullets have the highest BC of any bullets currently available in the world... So technically that means that the 2 highest BC rifle bullets in the WORLD are the 7mm 195 EOL and the 338 300 Hybrid. When you break it down to that, that's pretty **** solid. :D

Not really. The 300wm carries considerably more energy with comparable bullets and at long range the higher BC bullets available for the 300wm really start to shine.

Just sayin.

I'm pretty sure WR knows that ... I'm guessing he's responding to what a factory rifle offering can effectively stabilize, i.e. 168/180 for the 7MM Rem Mag and 210/215 for the .300 WM.

Just saying ... :):Dgun)

I'm pretty sure WR knows that ... I'm guessing he's responding to what a factory rifle offering can effectively stabilize, i.e. 168/180 for the 7MM Rem Mag and 210/215 for the .300 WM.

Just saying ... :):Dgun)
Running a 215 @3000 fps and
A 195 @ 3000 fps thru Shooter, the 215 still has more energy at 1000 yards. The 195 drops a little less but not much.

Running a 215 @3000 fps and
A 195 @ 3000 fps thru Shooter, the 215 still has more energy at 1000 yards. The 195 drops a little less but not much.

I totally agree, except neither one can deliver those velocities unless the OP goes custom build.

Have a Ruger American 7mm Rem Mag on its way. Considering getting a Remington 700 as well. Is there any reason to get it in another 7mm? Should I just get it in 300 Win Mag so I have one of both?

For a custom build, IIWM, I'd be propelling the 230s instead. :):Dgun)

Cheers!

I totally agree, except neither one can deliver those velocities unless the OP goes custom build.

For a custom build, IIWM, I'd be propelling the 230s instead. :):Dgun)

Cheers!

Me too!!! I have also been researching the Hornady 225 BTHP, and people seem to be coming up with a BC of .71 instead of .670. I'm thinking those would be cheap to run in my 300 Weatherby. I'm hoping Hornady doesn't discontinue them, I can't find any in stock.. They offer good stability in a 10 twist.

Me too!!! I have also been researching the Hornady 225 BTHP, and people seem to be coming up with a BC of .71 instead of .670. I'm thinking those would be cheap to run in my 300 Weatherby. I'm hoping Hornady doesn't discontinue them, I can't find any in stock.. They offer good stability in a 10 twist.

I have a box of 220 ELD-X but I've got to get some 225s and give them a try too.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.