Getting into PRS. How do I get started?

I kinda figured I'd need a 10 round mag. My bottom metal wont accept AICS mags. I believe savage makes a 10 round mag that would work for now. I'm hoping to get by with one rear bag and a back pack as I'm kinda on a budget with this and just looking to go have fun. I'm slightly nervous about shooting with a sfp. Afraid I'm going to hold off and forget I have a sfp scope and miss by a mile. What do you guys suggest for practice? I have a heavy barrel savage 17 hmr and a savage target 22 that I could use to practice with. If I'm only going to buy one rear bag, what would you guys suggest?
check out Dark Eagle Custom! they make a nice ten round mag for the savage rifles

I went through the same experience a few years back(in the New England area). Given your first match with a more casual setting, I go along with the idea to shoot what you have and view your first match as a learning experience for this highly addictive sport.
There is some basic equipment and preparation that you will need.
-previously zeroed rifle with drops/wind holds readily accessible. Ranges are almost always provided.
-Magazine's to accommodate a 20 round stage.
-bipod, rear bag, other shooters will happily loan you specialty bags such as "game changers", "Tactical Utters", etc. you can then determine which ones you find most useful to you.
-a means to write your distances/dopes for reference during stages with multiple targets. This can be a simple index card, the back of your hand, or one of the devices/armbands designed for this purpose.
-eye/hearing protection, chamber flag
-back pack
-binoculars to observe/locate/familiarize targets prior to a stage.
Stages are will be 90-120 seconds and will be 10-20 shots. Reliable feeding and magazine charges are important. For your early matches a SFP can work but if you get serious a FFP, MIL based variable to 20-25x will be inevitable. Expect to have some reticle use only stages.
Overall, observe and converse with the other shooters to determine what fits your style.

This is an excellent reference:
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...t=&hvlocphy=9001962&hvtargid=kwd-301400690343

I went through the same experience a few years back(in the New England area). Given your first match with a more casual setting, I go along with the idea to shoot what you have and view your first match as a learning experience for this highly addictive sport.
There is some basic equipment and preparation that you will need.
-previously zeroed rifle with drops/wind holds readily accessible. Ranges are almost always provided.
-Magazine's to accommodate a 20 round stage.
-bipod, rear bag, other shooters will happily loan you specialty bags such as "game changers", "Tactical Utters", etc. you can then determine which ones you find most useful to you.
-a means to write your distances/dopes for reference during stages with multiple targets. This can be a simple index card, the back of your hand, or one of the devices/armbands designed for this purpose.
-eye/hearing protection, chamber flag
-back pack
-binoculars to observe/locate/familiarize targets prior to a stage.
Stages are will be 90-120 seconds and will be 10-20 shots. Reliable feeding and magazine charges are important. For your early matches a SFP can work but if you get serious a FFP, MIL based variable to 20-25x will be inevitable. Expect to have some reticle use only stages.
Overall, observe and converse with the other shooters to determine what fits your style.

This is an excellent reference:
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...t=&hvlocphy=9001962&hvtargid=kwd-301400690343
Just curious as to why a mil based scope? All my scopes are in moa and that's what I'm used to for now. I dont think with this particular league there will be any 20 shot stages as he said it's only a one day even and about 100 rounds of ammo. I need a new bipod and I'm looking into a Harris swivel bipod.

For now I think a list of the bare minimum I will need is
At least one 10 round mag,
A swivel bipod
One rear bag
A backpack
Chamber flag
Binoculars
And lots more realoading components!

I'm sure I'm missing some. I still have a few months to think about it before it starts up

Just curious as to why a mil based scope? All my scopes are in moa and that's what I'm used to for now. I dont think with this particular league there will be any 20 shot stages as he said it's only a one day even and about 100 rounds of ammo. I need a new bipod and I'm looking into a Harris swivel bipod.

For now I think a list of the bare minimum I will need is
At least one 10 round mag,
A swivel bipod
One rear bag
A backpack
Chamber flag
Binoculars
And lots more realoading components!

I'm sure I'm missing some. I still have a few months to think about it before it starts up

The description of your club is quite similar to most all the PRS clubs/matches that are held in the New England area. We shoot at the same venues. They are not National Matches so they generally more casual, and don't have the same level of intensity, but, the matches are taken seriously, so you will see very competitive equipment and some superb shooters, many which participate at the Nationsl level. Most all the leagues welcome new shooters and take the time to help out.....but it will also be quite competitive. While a MIL based scope is not a must, there are advantages to a MIL based scope for PRS and +90% of the shooters in the venues you mentioned will be using a MILS. For this reason, most all of the communications during a match will be in MILS. More importantly, the fast action with varied targets and distances, involving continuous turret and reticle(only) use, the MIL design is faster and more intuitive to use. I have used MOA most of my life, and still do exclusively for hunting, targets, and selected competitive formats. . Myself, and several all of my buddies started with our MOA scopes In PRS. We all became immediately addicted to this exciting sport. We all switched to MILS and scores improved. Learning MILS is not complicated, and in many ways much easier then MOA.

The description of your club is quite similar to most all the PRS clubs/matches that are held in the New England area. We shoot at the same venues. They are not National Matches so they generally more casual, and don't have the same level of intensity, but, the matches are taken seriously, so you will see very competitive equipment and some superb shooters, many which participate at the Nationsl level. Most all the leagues welcome new shooters and take the time to help out.....but it will also be quite competitive. While a MIL based scope is not a must, there are advantages to a MIL based scope for PRS and +90% of the shooters in the venues you mentioned will be using a MILS. For this reason, most all of the communications during a match will be in MILS. More importantly, the fast action with varied targets and distances, involving continuous turret and reticle(only) use, the MIL design is faster and more intuitive to use. I have used MOA most of my life, and still do exclusively for hunting, targets, and selected competitive formats. . Myself, and several all of my buddies started with our MOA scopes In PRS. We all became immediately addicted to this exciting sport. We all switched to MILS and scores improved. Learning MILS is not complicated, and in many ways much easier then MOA.
Your from Massachusetts right? We're going to be competing from the sounds of it at the new 1100 yard range in Littleton NH, Pemibrook NH, Scarborough ME, and Granby Ma.
Another question I have is why do most guys run a chassis? I've never been a big fan of them, but always see them in prs matches.

Once you get into it the other I like is the arca rail. Attach ur bipod on a slideable clamp, it can be quite beneficial for various barricades.

Your from Massachusetts right? We're going to be competing from the sounds of it at the new 1100 yard range in Littleton NH, Pemibrook NH, Scarborough ME, and Granby Ma.
Another question I have is why do most guys run a chassis? I've never been a big fan of them, but always see them in prs matches.
Yes, I'm in Massachusetts and we may surely run into each other. I'm a member, and have shot quite lot of matches at Granby and Sheepdog in the Catskills.
I was never much of a fan of the chassis until I tried one for PRS. The ergonomics will can really grow on you once you start using it extensively for PRS. I liked it so much that I just completed a hunting Rifle in 6.5x284 using a lightweight MPA chassis. IMO, the big attraction for the chassis for PRS is the versatility of adjusting and optimizing not only the stock position, but the accessories(bipod, barrier stops, tripods, etc) for dealing with the myriad of different shooting scenarios and positions. Having said that, there are still quite a few shooters that still use the conventional stocks.
My PRS rifle in 6.5x47. MPA Chassis, Surgeon action, Kreiger Med Palma.
D64BDCB9-C8EE-440A-940C-86BF7BC0436F.jpeg

Yes, I'm in Massachusetts and we may surely run into each other. I'm a member, and have shot quite lot of matches at Granby and Sheepdog in the Catskills.
I was never much of a fan of the chassis until I tried one for PRS. The ergonomics will can really grow on you once you start using it extensively for PRS. I liked it so much that I just completed a hunting Rifle in 6.5x284 using a lightweight MPA chassis. IMO, the big attraction for the chassis for PRS is the versatility of adjusting and optimizing not only the stock position, but the accessories(bipod, barrier stops, tripods, etc) for dealing with the myriad of different shooting scenarios and positions. Having said that, there are still quite a few shooters that still use the conventional stocks.
View attachment 121187
Greyfox - I've been thinking about this type of set up for hunting. Have you put it to use hunting, and if so would you share your impressions? Also, what weight did you end up with? It looks like you didn't necessarily try to create a lightweight rig. What were you trying to optimize for? Sorry for all the questions, but you are pretty thoughtful about these things so I'd love to benefit from that. Thanks.

View attachment 121187
I'm thinking if I end up liking this then next year I'll build a rifle specific for prs. Not sure if id stay 6.5 CM or not but I'll probably go with a chassis.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts