Getting into Elk hunting - Recommendations?

catorres1

So I am growing older and my young sons are too, and I've not made it out to do many of the things I want to do, especially in terms of hunting, particularly in the west. I had a connection (I thought) with someone in Montana who was willing to show us the ropes this year, but that did not pan out in the end, as he lost his job and moved on.

I want to get out and take my sons elk hunting, but maybe Mule Deer etc. as well, but living in Texas, we lack the experience and knowledge on how to do it successfully under the different conditions out west, so I need to go with someone to teach us. I cannot afford the 4k or so per hunter price that I see for most guided trophy hunts, but I need to get out with someone who knows how to do this so we can learn and then try on my own on subsequent hunts.

On another thread, someone mentioned Urge to Hunt as an outfit to look into. Anyone hunted with them, especially on a cow elk hunt in Utah?

Any other ideas on other companies/outfitters that we should look into to guide/teach us at an affordable price?

Not talking about a trophy hunt here, just an opportunity I can afford that will teach us so we can try self guided safely and effectively in the future.

Thanks!

You might be better off to do a private land or drawing cow hunt first. The success rate is usually pretty high for cows in many places. It will help learn elk habits and areas they like to frequent. Elk are quite habitual and tend to like the same areas year after year. If you just go for it look for places with no roads and do some hiking but be careful because they are a big animal to pack out.

You might be better off to do a private land or drawing cow hunt first. The success rate is usually pretty high for cows in many places. It will help learn elk habits and areas they like to frequent. Elk are quite habitual and tend to like the same areas year after year. If you just go for it look for places with no roads and do some hiking but be careful because they are a big animal to pack out.

Yeah, that is probably exactly what I need. If I can find a guide service that will do that, that would get me the instruction I need for future seasons. That "Urge to Hunt' company may have something that might work, but I don't know anything about them, having just found them by perusing posts on this board. So I need to see how reputable they are or find a like alternative.

I would do some google searches for "private land cow elk hunts" or "guided cow elk hunts" and start from there. If you do a guided hunt on public ground you could potentially do the same hunt on your own in subsequent years and maybe even do a bull hunt if drawn or a tag is available. Of course that depends on how far back away from roads the guide takes you. Some questions to the guide should tell you where he hunts and the access available if you want to potentially do it on your own at a later date. Most of the time guided cow hunts are under 2000 and success rates run 80+%. Bull hunts are usually 5000 and up. There are some DIY private land hunts that are 5-600 too but you need your own vehicles and I would bet the success rates are lower. Another down side is you can't learn from the guide on a DIY hunt. That can be some pretty valuable info if your limited in time afield. Reading, research, and asking questions will never substitute for time in the field.

Elk can be a lot of work when on the ground and many people aren't prepared for the miles walked or the effort required to pack one out. It's no easy task to pack one out when a cow is the size of 2 pretty large deer and a big bull is 3 times the size of large deer. A boned out cow will be 125-150lbs of just meat and a bigger bull is usually 200+lbs. I pack my bull out in 2 trips this year and each trip was 7-8 miles walked and around 3.5 miles with 100+lbs of meat in the pack. I shot a cow this year as well and drove right to it with a 4 wheeler. Those are kind of the extremes of elk hunting.

There are some DIY private land hunts that are 5-600 too but you need your own vehicles and I would bet the success rates are lower. Another down side is you can't learn from the guide on a DIY hunt. That can be some pretty valuable info if your limited in time afield. Reading, research, and asking questions will never substitute for time in the field.

This is my thoughts exactly. My time in the field in the west will necessarily be short, so learning from a guide is especially valuable to me. So the cow elk guided hunt idea is what I am looking for, probably perfect. I get the instruction I am looking for and meat to take home to boot.

I'll do that search you recommended, but if anyone knows something about 'Urge to Hunt', let me know, they appear, at first glance, to have just what I am looking for in terms of a moderately priced cow elk hunt that is guided....it's on Utah though, but I assume that's fine.

Call Hills Guide Service, in western Colorado. Good prices on semi or full guided hunts from small cabins. The hunting is good and they get you out there and pack game back to your vehicle. I can vouch for their honesty and the hunting... I guide for them and the manager, Mark, used to guide for me.
970-487-3731

I would go with an outfitter, have them show you the ropes and learn what you can. If you choose not to go with one and do a draw cow hunt, just remember to pack light don't over do it with the fancy stuff. Just take what you need, and a good friend to help with the pack out. As for rifles, pick the one your most comfortable with. People will judge every thing you use, so don't worry about what they say. For instance, they say a 25-06 isn't a good elk caliber, but my grandpa has killed elk out to 600 yards using his.

Thanks for everyone's help here. I've gotten some great advice and met some great people.

Not sure what I am going to do just yet, I am working several opportunities, but I do know that I will not be going alone. I just don't think it's a good idea or a safe one, especially considering I'll have my boys with me.

At this point, I'm just trying to see what I can afford, which is of course the limiting factor. Found a great situation in Colorado, but it looks to be priced out of my reach, which admittedly is not very long.

But also have some others I'm working on. So thanks for all that have chimed in, and keep the suggestions coming. I still am talking to outfitters and folks to seal the deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.