Full or neck size

A number of years ago I used a Wilson hammer in hammer out bushing die with old Lapua brass for the whole life of the barrel, sounds unreal I know but it's true,,,,,,,,,,,,,nowadays mostly a variety of NK and FL dies to bump.

Neck sizing only was "the thing" a few years back and the reasons for it make perfect sense.

In reality though at a minimum you still need to FL size every third or fourth loading because if you don't sooner or later the shoulder will push forward enough to cause head space issues.

Consistency is what we're after for the best accuracy so it just makes more sense to FL size every time so your brass is consistent when fitting into the chamber.
What kind of neck tension are you running on your bushing die ?

I started loading in 1973 when I was 12 my dad brought me a ribs junior to load .243 since then I have fl sized then everyone told me neck size is the way to go and now I'm trying a Redding body die to bump shoulder back .002 then use the neck die with the stem removed then run the brass thru the Sinclair mandrel die to get neck tension … seems like a lot of moves not sure it's worth the trouble I enjoy reloading but don't want to waste time needlessly
I think I'm going to neck size and use the mandrel till the brass is tight, then bump the shoulders back with the body die and start the process again I do aneal about every other loading what are your thoughts
I'm thinking about the Redding fl "s" dies but I have so many dies now it seems a waste, most calibers I load for now I have fl and neck dies for already.. need advise ? Help?,!
!

I started loading in 1973 when I was 12 my dad brought me a ribs junior to load .243 since then I have fl sized then everyone told me neck size is the way to go and now I'm trying a Redding body die to bump shoulder back .002 then use the neck die with the stem removed then run the brass thru the Sinclair mandrel die to get neck tension … seems like a lot of moves not sure it's worth the trouble I enjoy reloading but don't want to waste time needlessly
I think I'm going to neck size and use the mandrel till the brass is tight, then bump the shoulders back with the body die and start the process again I do aneal about every other loading what are your thoughts
I'm thinking about the Redding fl "s" dies but I have so many dies now it seems a waste, most calibers I load for now I have fl and neck dies for already.. need advise ? Help?,!
!
If you already have the body die, then just pick up a Lee Collet die. They cost next to nothing, remove a step from your process and produce very straight ammo.

John

!
I'm a big fan of the Redding type S and Hornady custom dies.

I have or had owned rifles in calibers from .223, .220 swift, 6-284 Win, 6 CM, 6.5 CM, 25-06, 7mm RM and loaded ammo for them all.
The pile of dies that I've bought seems to keep growing, fueled my new ideas from the gallery for neverending increasingly more accurate ammo.
Once I buy or build another firearm, it seems I jump down ending up at the bottom of that rabbit hoke once again. Rcbs has introduced a new seater die lately that incorporates a "window" cut into the side of the middle of the die to insert the bullet instead of holding said bullet with clumsy fat fingers on the top of the case as I carefully lift the ram and seat the bullet. Its faster, easier, and less prone to getting my fat fingers pinched betwixt the bullet and the die body.
I don't mean to whine but I'll be glad when I get to the very bottom of that rabbit hole i mentioned.
Of course when that happens I get bit by a new caliber and it starts all over again.🙄

I have or had owned rifles in calibers from .223, .220 swift, 6-284 Win, 6 CM, 6.5 CM, 25-06, 7mm RM and loaded ammo for them all.
The pile of dies that I've bought seems to keep growing, fueled my new ideas from the gallery for neverending increasingly more accurate ammo.
Once I buy or build another firearm, it seems I jump down ending up at the bottom of that rabbit hoke once again. Rcbs has introduced a new seater die lately that incorporates a "window" cut into the side of the middle of the die to insert the bullet instead of holding said bullet with clumsy fat fingers on the top of the case as I carefully lift the ram and seat the bullet. Its faster, easier, and less prone to getting my fat fingers pinched betwixt the bullet and the die body.
I don't mean to whine but I'll be glad when I get to the very bottom of that rabbit hole i mentioned.
Of course when that happens I get bit by a new caliber and it starts all over again.🙄
The good thing about that RCBS "window" seating die is that you can buy different caliber collets and seating stems for it and use it for every rifle caliber you load. It takes about a minute to change :)

The good thing about that RCBS "window" seating die is that you can buy different caliber collets and seating stems for it and use it for every rifle caliber you load. It takes about a minute to change :)
didn't know that..I have 6.5creed and 6creed on the way. Need one for .223 and maybe 25-06
Thanks for that info

This is what most of us call FL sizing. You can't bump the shoulder without sizing the body. The shoulder is the last part of the case to get sized
That's true while using off the shelf FL dies.
I use custom bump dies. They support the body (without sizing), while shoulder bumping only.
Then Wilson bushing NS, and Sinclair mandrel pre-seating.

There are all kinds of dies to do all kinds of sizing.