Full or neck size

which method are you using? My limited use of neck sizing has been with a lee collet die. I will say I'm very happy sizing brass with a Wilson full length bushing die.

Forster FL die with the neck honed by them to my specs.

Have also had good results from a Redding body die combined with a Lee Collet die.

John

I will full length size my brass, and bump the shoulders enough to get reliable ejection. I learn my lesson neck sizing.
One year I used my father in laws Winchester M88 .308. He was a fire form neck sizing nut. I shot my deer but when I went to load another round extraction was very stiff. I told him and he brushed me off. What goods a lever rifle if you have this problem?🤪 The accuracy was ok, bout an inch at 100.

Last edited:
Clarify please, were you having ejection or extraction issues?

Head space reduction due to brass growth causing an overpressure caused me some extraction issues but by the time the case was cleared the ejectors were working just fine on CZ, Rem, and Winchester

Head space reduction due to brass growth causing an overpressure caused me some extraction issues but by the time the case was cleared the ejectors were working just fine on CZ, Rem, and Winchester M70 actions.

Head space reduction due to brass growth causing an overpressure caused me some extraction issues but by the time the case was cleared the ejectors were working just fine on CZ, Rem, and Winchester M70 actions.
I guess you could say both. I always had stick bolt close. And sticky bolt life. Broke a few extractors, and a bolt handle. After the second firing of brass it most of the time it got tossed in the trash because when I full length sized my headspace was all over the place

Screenshot_20220218-190521.png

I normally neck size with a Redding Type S die, then bump the shoulder back .002" with a Redding Body Die. Instead of fooling around with the die lock ring, I use the Redding Competition Shell Holder Set. Normally I just insert the .002" shell holder and set the shoulder that way. If I need more bump for some reason, I use a different shell holder from the set.
Does anyone else use the Redding Competition Shell Holder Sets?

I guess you could say both. I always had stick bolt close. And sticky bolt life. Broke a few extractors, and a bolt handle. After the second firing of brass it most of the time it got tossed in the trash because when I full length sized my headspace was all over the place
My advice then would be to cease firing it and immediately get it to a gunsmith for inspection.

Those are very serious signs of overpressure and could be caused by a number of factors some more easily correctable than others.

No matter what the cause though firing it in it's current condition with the ammo you have could lead to a catastrophic failure.

I'd look first at a head space issue and second at a short chamber neck. Then perhaps as your load but first and foremost a gunsmith really needs to do a thorough examination to see if the gun is even safe enough to fire again in it's current condition.

I normally neck size with a Redding Type S die, then bump the shoulder back .002" with a Redding Body Die. Instead of fooling around with the die lock ring, I use the Redding Competition Shell Holder Set. Normally I just insert the .002" shell holder and set the shoulder that way. If I need more bump for some reason, I use a different shell holder from the set.
Does anyone else use the Redding Competition Shell Holder Sets?
I do with a couple of my rifles, they work very well.

Forster makes a bump/neck die that I use a lot.
There's an application for any of the commonly used methods.
If you're getting the results that you want, who cares what others do?

Recent Posts