Front swivel stud bent and came loose

gphil

Last fall I bought a thumbhole HS precision stock for my rem 700. I put on a bipod and after about a year of use the swivel stud got loose and it even got bent some how. Im assuming from maybe the recoil? But its chambered in a 338wm and I have a muzzle break on it so im not really sure. Maybe it it just from packing a i guess??? So now ive been trying to figure out what I should do. I was thinking maybe getting a new stud to replace the bent one and full the hole with epoxy first to see if that works and if it doesnt it looks like I have to replace the stud with a Heavy duty type bipod mount? Does anyone have any recommendations, I cant seem to find much info on this.

These are the only two that I could find to be a permanent fix if using epoxy to hold the stud in place doesnt work.

Defensive edge HD Bipod Mounts

Products

American Precision Arms tactical studs

https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/products-page/custom-parts/tactical-studs/

Im open to any advice; Thanks for the Help!

What I did on my 300 Rum Sendero to get a solid mount for a bipod was to take a short AR accessory rail and chisel/rout out a slot that it just set deep enough in to give it a solid back stop.

I then bedded it in with Devcon, drilled through into the barrel channel a couple of screw holes, then back cut it from inside with a bit just large enough to fit a swivel stud base. Inserted the base and bedded it in to each of them, inserted the screws through the 2.5 accessory rail holes and sucked it down tight.

No problems since.

Last fall I bought a thumbhole HS precision stock for my rem 700. I put on a bipod and after about a year of use the swivel stud got loose and it even got bent some how. Im assuming from maybe the recoil? But its chambered in a 338wm and I have a muzzle break on it so im not really sure. Maybe it it just from packing a i guess??? So now ive been trying to figure out what I should do. I was thinking maybe getting a new stud to replace the bent one and full the hole with epoxy first to see if that works and if it doesnt it looks like I have to replace the stud with a Heavy duty type bipod mount? Does anyone have any recommendations, I cant seem to find much info on this.

These are the only two that I could find to be a permanent fix if using epoxy to hold the stud in place doesnt work.

Defensive edge HD Bipod Mounts

Products

American Precision Arms tactical studs

https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/products-page/custom-parts/tactical-studs/

Im open to any advice; Thanks for the Help!

Either one should work, but I'd still use epoxy though, but that's just me. I've done similar repair on a wooden stock for a friend. Also, used Harris' HB-2 flange nut approach on a hollow forend.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.