Bipod on back swivel stud

curiousaussie

G'day fella's,

I was just wondering if anyone out there has tried using a bipod on the back swivel stud as well as the front one?

I tried it on the weekend with my 22-243 out to 700 yards shooting steel from a bench. It seem to work well once I got the hang of adjusting elevation with the legs on the back bipod.

I used a short Harris on the back and a medium Harris on the front. I going to keep practising to see whether it is worth the effort. If it works out I might even install a Freeland rail in the heel of a stock and try that as a means of adjusting elevation smoothly.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Matt

There are mono pods on the market.
I've never used one, everybody I knew that had one, don't now??
the bipod would take twice as long to adjust.

The monopod made your setup like a three legged setup with front bipod.

Sorry not much help, but it has been tried just never seen anybody keep using them.
Cam

I perfer bags, its not like the deer are going to stand there and wait for you to adjust your bipods goin shoot me shoot me( unless there steel target of course):D

How about you post a picture of your two bipod setup.

I would be interested to see how quick and easy it was to set up under hunting conditions?

I can see it may have some merrit when shooting in long grass. A sand bag under the rear of the stock requires you to get down very low and long grass can be an issue.

Yes the long grass is a pain, only thing worse is DEEEEEP snow. LOL
There are some neat tripods on the market some have kicker legs also.
just more to pack!
When you guys find the perfect setup that replaces the sandbag, post lots of pics.
I think I'll just mount mine to the roll bar of my 56 willies! J/K
This is what makes it so fun.
Going in light or having gadgets!! I love gadgets, hate packing them.
CAM

G'day fellas,

Shot some 3/8 and 1/2 groups from the 100m bench using two bipods on the weekend - basically the same as with a Caldwell Rock front rest and rear bag.

Was shooting free recoil with a 22-243, so I'll try a 308 to see how a larger calibre goes.

It certainly sits steady where you point it, and set up time is improving with practice.

Havn't tried it in the field yet.

I'll endeavour to post some photos.

Cheers,

Matt

Aw heck, I don't even use one on the front stud... freehand all the way man :)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.