Free float issues

Well i went to wally world and bought some chaulk. rubbed it on any part of the action, recoil lug, trigger assembly, and mag box i thought maybe coming in contact with the stock. the only spots that looked like were contacting were the action on the aluminum v blocks. So just to make sure i took the mag box off and trigger assembly off and guess what it is doing the exact same thing. I am really starting to think it was like this the whole time and i never noticed it. I think I may have gotten a lemon stock? It seems like the vblocks are of substantially different hieghts which is causing the action and barrel to see saw? Idk maybe im just so frustrated i am missing something obvious? Thanks for the help guys.

This is were stress free bedding job comes to shine. To make it completely stress free, you don't tighten the action screws down at all ( for the exact reason you are seeing). You need to read this thread backwards and forward a couple time until you understand what it is saying. Then you can bed the rifle yourself and your se sawing action will be properly fitted and bedded to your stock. This thread has a ton of pictures and I think just about every style of gun is talked about. On your Stevens, just make sure you add tape on the barrel where your tang is floated. If your action really sets the way it seems too, there will be a considerable amout off bedding material on your front bedding block which is perftectly fine. If you do it in this manner, your barrel will be free floating when you finish. I have done several rifles after reading this thread and they have all came out perfect. Just make sure you use devcon 10110 and kiwi natural shoe polish. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1167022&nt=12&page=1

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Agree, its time to go back to the basics and start over. You have invested some money into the rig now just have to invest some personal time in getting it "better" :)

A friend of mine has the sam stock so i am going to put my barreled action in his to see if it does the same thing. If it doesnt obviously my stock is messed up so it seems a bedding job will be in order! Thanks fort the link, i have a 4hr car ride ahead of me today so it will give me plenty of time to read it then read it again and again!

A friend of mine has the sam stock so i am going to put my barreled action in his to see if it does the same thing. If it doesnt obviously my stock is messed up so it seems a bedding job will be in order! Thanks fort the link, i have a 4hr car ride ahead of me today so it will give me plenty of time to read it then read it again and again!
I would strongly echo the other poster that said call Stevens and Choate and find out if you have the right stock.

Don't do anything that would preclude you from sending the stock in and swapping for the right one in the case you do not before talking to them.

Its too late for that since i painted the stock as soon as i got it!
Oopse...

Well then let me back up and suggest you stack washers under the front until it sets level with no more see sawing, and then bed around it.

You'll in effect then end up with a steel pillar in the front.

I guess as long as your hardware all works you'll still end up with exactly what you want in the end.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.