Savage Accuracy, disappointed, free floated barrel

bedding the first 3 inches of the barrel for on mine (choate stock allumn. v block) took my patterns from a 3 leaf clover to the same hole (really un measurable) at 100 yrds. it took my friends (plastic stock pillar bed) from 1 moa to .33 moa (average) don't know about the accu stock.gun)

I bought a Savage Predator that had accuracy issues. The barrel was contacting the stock in a couple of spots. Once I relieved the contact with sandpaper wrapped on a wood dowel the rifle shot .25-.5moa and has maintained that accuracy for over a year now.

I purchased a Savage 111 LRH 7mm this spring and I noticed the stock was touching the barrel, I sanded it down before I even took it out to shoot it, I had factory hornady 162 grain SST's shooting 1/2 inch groups and I loaded up some 162 grain SST's with 62.5 grains of IMR 4831 seated .0010 off the lands and im getting 3 shots touching with that load

I recently purchased a savage model 16 weather warrior in 270wsm. I am also wanting to shoot berger bullets. I bought a box of 140gr vld's and began the process. I was getting frustrated early on because I couldn't get and good groups at 100 yards. The best I could do was 1 1/4. I just knew the gun and calliber was capable of much better. I spoke with a few berger fanatics who live here locally. They told me to move my target back to 200 yards. They said the bergers don't stabalize at 100 yards. I was sceptical but I decided to give it a try. I saw a huge improvement immediately. I got numerous different loads to group under an inch at 200. Using some magpro and the 140's I got one group just over 3/4". Another group was just under 3/4". These are 3 shot groups. The barrel seems to shoot better dirty. I hope this helps.

I recently purchased a savage model 16 weather warrior in 270wsm. I am also wanting to shoot berger bullets. I bought a box of 140gr vld's and began the process. I was getting frustrated early on because I couldn't get and good groups at 100 yards. The best I could do was 1 1/4. I just knew the gun and calliber was capable of much better. I spoke with a few berger fanatics who live here locally. They told me to move my target back to 200 yards. They said the bergers don't stabalize at 100 yards. I was sceptical but I decided to give it a try. I saw a huge improvement immediately. I got numerous different loads to group under an inch at 200. Using some magpro and the 140's I got one group just over 3/4". Another group was just under 3/4". These are 3 shot groups. The barrel seems to shoot better dirty. I hope this helps.

FYI: I quit using the 100 yd range a number of years ago other than to get a new scope on paper. After that I see no purpose for results at 100 with the Bergers or any other LR rifle/bullet. I'm not sure i buy all the stabilizing stuff on Bergers but it sure wouldn't hurt to move your target back to 200 and 300 and see what you get - then you'll know for sure about all the stabilizing rumors.

I have a Stevens 7 mm Rem Mag I use 150 gr. Wolf Gold Line ammo and the rifle shoots 5/8 inch groups at 150 yds. clean barrel dirty barrel for this rifle makes no difference. Most of my Savages are this way I have an older 110 Savage .223 Tactical it shoots 1/4 inch all day long. The key is finding that right combo of bullet, powder , length and all the stuff that goes along with it.

Hello Kudu,

How are the bases? I had some oil get under the bases of one of my 7mm Mags, groups tightened up quite a bit after I took it apart and re-applied some Loctite.

How hot is your barrel getting? I live in the South, shooting often in the 90's, the barrel can take a while to cool down.

Good call on free-floating the barrel.

Good luck!

That is the problem with purchasing factory rifles in that there is a risk in getting a bad one. I believe you will never get it to shoot like you want, therefore I would have the action trued and replace the barrel. No need in wasting additional money and continued anguish. Just my opinion.

Ive got a pre accu trigger savage. " tactical" in 25-06 and I havent even bothered shooting it until I can get a new stock on it and glass bed it. Grayboe is coming out with a Savage inlet in August of this year. Il keep everyone posted because I am going to definitely have one. I already talked to Ryan and told them they might as well bill my now! For the money you cant beat them

Since you have made it free floated why don't you order some hammer Bullets and try those. Those seem to not care at all about seating depth. And in my experience powder charge. Everyone I've done has Been right groups from starting load to max. Give them a try and if they don't shoot I would say new barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.