Rifle stock pressure point verse free floating barrel

elkhntr

Remington uses a pressure point in their stocks. any opinions as to why they would do this when the norm seems to be free floating barrels in custom long range rifles. Im having a custom built 300 win mag made. The stock I ordered is one of rems alaska ll stocks made by Bell and Carlson. I noticed a node(pressure point) near the tip of the forearm. My assumption is this may help stabilize barrel whip or deal with the harmonics. All rifles react differently. Remington has to have a reason for wanting this in their stocks.
any ideas??

Remington uses a pressure point in their stocks. any opinions as to why they would do this when the norm seems to be free floating barrels in custom long range rifles. Im having a custom built 300 win mag made. The stock I ordered is one of rems alaska ll stocks made by Bell and Carlson. I noticed a node(pressure point) near the tip of the forearm. My assumption is this may help stabilize barrel whip or deal with the harmonics. All rifles react differently. Remington has to have a reason for wanting this in their stocks.
any ideas??

Pressure points are for first shot consistency (Not accuracy)with a non bedded rifle and very small contours.

We use heavier barrels that doesn't need this pressure point and in fact pressure points will normally
cause a shift in the POI after a few shots due to heat with the heavy barrels. Pressure points do help light contours and reduces the barrel flex because of the length from the pressure point to the muzzle.

J E CUSTOM

thanks for the info, that is what i was looking for.Looks like i will be dremil tooling out the nodes.I just kind of found it interesting that remington uses them even with their barrel muzzle dia. of .670

thanks for the info, that is what i was looking for.Looks like i will be dremil tooling out the nodes.I just kind of found it interesting that remington uses them even with their barrel muzzle dia. of .670

.670 is still kind of light (It is there magnum contour) I think of medium as .750 to .800 and heavy anything over .820.

Remember these rifles normally don't have any type of bedding or a bedding block . And the action can shift/move around in the stock with any humidity or heat changes .

J E CUSTOM

any ideas??
I have no idea who the genius is that thought this up or why they continue to do it. They however have been doing it since at least the early 70's.

I have yet to see a factory rifle shoot better with it than without it.

Wooden Dowel and sand paper is the poor man's quick fix.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.