Found a floating dot scope.

Ohlongarm

Settled on a Hawke 6x24x50 ir sf lr , decent enough for my application, what really sold me is the wide field of view, clean reticle .
And thanks for the help Doug at Cameraland has given me in this process, while scopes that cost twice the price are very nice they won't accomplish anything that the cheaper scopes won't. Dyed in the wool varmint hunters will attest a floating dot rules in varmint hunting , and excels at small targets at longer ranges, particularly a coyotes noggin.

I have using Hawke Sidewinder for about 6 years and I must say for an inexpensive scope, it has held up really well. No issues at all. I would buy one again. I think you made a good choice.

I have using Hawke Sidewinder for about 6 years and I must say for an inexpensive scope, it has held up really well. No issues at all. I would buy one again. I think you made a good choice.
Cheap isn't always bad, for one season I used a Vortex Crossfire 2 with Vbrite floating dot 6x18x44 I think, I never missed a shot out to the ranges , 100 yards to 250 yards that I encounter.Lots of scopes can get the job done without going north of 1K , especially shooting varmints.
And a pile of coyotes and Gh's never knew the diff. Happy shooting.

X2! Great scopes, great folks to talk too and work with. I had a problem a few years back, blamed it on the scope. They went well above and beyond to help me out and make things right. Including a full refund after sending me a second scope to try. Long story short....wasn't the scope at all. Called them told them what I found and promptly ordered another scope to make up for the error and cover their expenses as they had mine!

X2! Great scopes, great folks to talk too and work with. I had a problem a few years back, blamed it on the scope. They went well above and beyond to help me out and make things right. Including a full refund after sending me a second scope to try. Long story short....wasn't the scope at all. Called them told them what I found and promptly ordered another scope to make up for the error and cover their expenses as they had mine!
My only concern as of yet, is the dot may be too large at the extreme ranges. Haven't placed the order yet with Cameraland till my scope being returned arrives safely.

Ohlongarm ,

What is the size of the "Floating-Dot reticle"?
Is the scope a First Focal Plane or Second Focal Plane ?
I have several Leupold scopes , all SFP , with the "Leupold Dot" reticle . and I think that they are the Best reticle ever designed for hunting . My leupold Vari-X II in 4x12 power has the Leupold Dot reticle , and at 12x magnification the Dot is 1 MOA in size . At 4x magnification , the Dot is 3 MOA in size . FANTASTIC reticle for hunting .
Unfortunately Leupold no longer offers this reticle in any of their scopes , and their custom shop will no longer install this reticle as a change-over to a scope .

Dmp25-06

Ohlongarm ,

What is the size of the "Floating-Dot reticle"?
Is the scope a First Focal Plane or Second Focal Plane ?
I have several Leupold scopes , all SFP , with the "Leupold Dot" reticle . and I think that they are the Best reticle ever designed for hunting . My leupold Vari-X II in 4x12 power has the Leupold Dot reticle , and at 12x magnification the Dot is 1 MOA in size . At 4x magnification , the Dot is 3 MOA in size . FANTASTIC reticle for hunting .
Unfortunately Leupold no longer offers this reticle in any of their scopes , and their custom shop will no longer install this reticle as a change-over to a scope .

Dmp25-06
Second focal plane with the dot being 0.625 I'm almost to the point of putting a cheap Mueller with the dot on it till something better is made.

My only concern as of yet, is the dot may be too large at the extreme ranges. Haven't placed the order yet with Cameraland till my scope being returned arrives safely.
I haven't used the dot scope but have the 8 x 32 sidewinder so I can't help you with that one....sorry...call them and ask!

Second focal plane with the dot being 0.625 I'm almost to the point of putting a cheap Mueller with the dot on it till something better is made.
It has been 11 years since I had a reticle changed , but you might try this .

If you have a scope that you really like , that is either a variable , or fixed power , in the magnification range that you prefer , contact Premier Reticles , and speak to them about replacing your existing reticle with one of their Dot Reticles . They offer several different sizes of "Dots".

I have 2 Leupold variable power scopes , 8 - 25 and 6.5 - 20 , that Premier put their "Floating Dots" in .
The 8x25x50 having a single 1/4 MOA Dot , and the 6.5x20x40 having a 1 MOA dot in center , and 3 smaller 1/2 MOA dots in vertical axis with mil-dot spacing below the center dot .
Both scopes track perfectly and function properly .

I know that Leupold will no longer warranty any of their scopes that Premier has replaced the Leupold reticle with a Premier reticle . Unless Leupold has changed their position recently .

It has been 11 years since I had a reticle changed , but you might try this .

If you have a scope that you really like , that is either a variable , or fixed power , in the magnification range that you prefer , contact Premier Reticles , and speak to them about replacing your existing reticle with one of their Dot Reticles . They offer several different sizes of "Dots".

I have 2 Leupold variable power scopes , 8 - 25 and 6.5 - 20 , that Premier put their "Floating Dots" in .
The 8x25x50 having a single 1/4 MOA Dot , and the 6.5x20x40 having a 1 MOA dot in center , and 3 smaller 1/2 MOA dots in vertical axis with mil-dot spacing below the center dot .
Both scopes track perfectly and function properly .

I know that Leupold will no longer warranty any of their scopes that Premier has replaced the Leupold reticle with a Premier reticle . Unless Leupold has changed their position recently .
Thanks , that's an option, i have a 5x20 grand slam I really like I'll give them a call, never knew there was such a place, Thanks 👍

Thanks , that's an option, i have a 5x20 grand slam I really like I'll give them a call, never knew there was such a place, Thanks 👍
Ohlongarm ,

Both of my Leupold Scopes that I had changed to the Premier Reticles Dot are Second Focal plane .
The 8.5x25x50mm with 30mm tube has the 1/4 MOA Dot , that is 1/4 MOA only at the highest power magnification of 25x . When turned back to the 8.5x magnification , the dot is approximately 3 times larger , about 3/4 MOA in size .
The 6.5x20x40mm with 1" tube with the 1 MOA center Dot is only at the highest magnification of 20x . At the 6.5x magnification , the center Dot is approximately 3 MOA in size , which works well , and is very quick , and easy for the eye to locate on shots at fast-moving animals .

Good Luck finding what you need and want .

DMP25-06

Recent Posts