Forster Co-Ax OAL limitations

Autorotate

Who out there is using this press with some of the longer OAL rounds such as 300 RUM, 3x-378 Wbys, 338 Lapua, etc...?

I understand the newer B3 models of this press have a longer handle alleviating clearance problems with the Redding Competition dies...but how about the actual press dimension between the die and the shell holder jaws?

Is it tall enough to accommodate setting the bullet on top of the case, and then lowering the seater die to seat the bullet, or are you having to push the bullet up into the seater die to seat on the longer OAL cartridges?

I like the RCBS match seater type dies where you slip the bullet in from above, but may use different dies in the future without that capability.

I'm looking to reload 300 RUM now, and a 338 Edge/Lapua/Norma in the future, and want to get a press that'll get 'er done.

Thanks in advance.

I load .300 RUM with a Forster.

I'm pretty sure there is *not* enough clearance between the top of the brass when it is in the jaws and the bottom of the die to insert the bullet when the jaws are holding the brass (at least with a 240gr SMK). I set the bullet on top of the brass and gently hold it in position as I insert the brass into the press -- the brass/bullet goes up inside the die in order to provide enough room to position the brass in the jaws. I don't find this particularly inconvenient, and I don't believe it slows me down any.

Here's a couple of pics that show the clearance between the die and the jaws -- this is a 240gr SMK just sitting on top of .300 RUM brass (die is Forster ultra seater):

DSC_2858.jpg

DSC_2859.jpg

Your pics say it all. Great reference for others who will this same decision in the future.

Thanks a bunch.

Ultramag photos with the 338 Lapua and 300 SMK

Thought'd I'd post these pics as a comparison between the Redding Ultramag press and the Co-Ax.

These are courtesy BigSoundRacing from Snipershide.

DSC05941_75.jpg

DSC05940_75.jpg

DSC05942_75.jpg

DSC05971_80.jpg

DSC05985_80.jpg

DSC05990_80.jpg

All the mods I have done to my co-ax press are for quick swapping of jaws by a butter fingered old man.

I have not done any mods for longer cartridges, but I would imagine they would be straight forward.

At the risk of prosletyzing, once you go co-ax, you won't go back.

It looks like with either press, you have to tip the bullet into the seater before setting it on top of the case. Just my personal preference, but I'd rather do that on a co-ax than an UltraMag.

The first co-ax photo shows the cartridge sitting on top of the shell holder jaws, not on the pressure plate where it sets during use.

IINM, even the previous B2 Model Co-Ax works with Redding Comp seaters.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.