Forster BR die troubles, suggestions please

300WSMMAD

Ive run into a issue with the full length sizing die for the 338 Lapua its not bumping the shoulder?
Im using a RCBS press and shell holder with Forster BR FL dies and the shell holder is contacting the bottom of the die and thats as far as I can go, because Im then fighting the whole press not the cartridge.
lightbulbThe simple solution in my eyes is to take 40 thou yes 40 of the bottom of the die, so then it WILL go all the way up and the "bump" can be controlled by normal methods, winding the die up until the required amount of "bump" is acheived, the only part of the case which wont be touched is around the base which is so thick it dosent size any way, BTW I am aware its a taper so it will get smaller the further up it will go,so if I get too carried away I will get in the SHITE!
Has any one had to do this or encountered this problems with these dies before, I sure would like to know.

Be kind to me its just AN IDEA!

Regards 300wsmmad

Hi Guys thought you may like to know that I did take off some of the bottom of the die but 40 thou wasnt enough, it ended up being 55 thou skimed off the base.
Scary really but it worked sweeeet as!

Ironically since Ive discovered this problem with my die a friend of mine who has Forster dies for his 300WSM checked his die tonite and has the same problem that I had.:rolleyes:

Regards 300wsmmad

I have run into this same problem with Forester dies. Have not seen this with any of my Redding dies. That being said, I still like Forester dies with my Co Ax press. How did you take 50 thou off the bottom ? Did you grind it off ?

Hi Trueblue,
Yep, not the only way to do it tho, but I dont have the equipment to do it
on a Lathe,even though they hardened with the right tooling it can be done.
Bench grinder worked fine for the initial meat removal then linished the rest to make sure it was all true and square,and final 800 wet sandpaper on a piece of glass to get it really sweet, chamfered outside and inside again, I bet at a glance not even Forster could tell Ive done it.

It really worked! I still cant beleive I had to take so much off!

Regards 300WSMAD

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.