.308 Win National Match Forster BR dies

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by wheelgunner, Mar 30, 2009.

1. wheelgunner

wheelgunner Active Member

Hello guys,

i would like to try the Forster BR ultra-mic dies, for a Remington 700 Police .308

..... But when i take a look to the Forster Catalog i can see 2 different kind of dies-set:
    - .308 Win
    - .308 National Match
    Reading in the Forster site, they write this:

".308 National Match size cases .002" shorter than standard 308 dies"

My question is: for a Long Range precision load ... it's better the National Match or the standard .308 ?

.... Thank you

2. Winchester 69

Winchester 69 Well-Known Member

The National Match dies are made specifically for gas guns. 0.002" of an inch isn't much, about the thickness of a sheet of paper, so either would work for a bolt gun. However, I don't see where that little bit would make that much of a difference in itself. It might be worth asking Forster if any other dimensions differ between the two.

3. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

I would/did get the standard .308 dies. Forster's are excellant.

If I wished to load for a tight chambered gas gun that wouldn't chamber reliably - unlikely - I'd grind a couple of thou off the mouth of the standard die and use something like the RCBS Precision Case Mic or the Hornady LnL case length tool on a dial caliper to set the shoulders where I wanted them.

4. wheelgunner

wheelgunner Active Member

Ok,
    thank you for yours replies.
    in few words you say that the "National Match" dies are for rifle like M14 or similar semi-autos .... and for a bolt action it's better to go with the "standard .308" ...

Thank you again :cool: