.308 Win National Match Forster BR dies

wheelgunner

Hello guys,

i would like to try the Forster BR ultra-mic dies, for a Remington 700 Police .308

..... But when i take a look to the Forster Catalog i can see 2 different kind of dies-set:
- .308 Win
- .308 National Match
Reading in the Forster site, they write this:

".308 National Match size cases .002" shorter than standard 308 dies"

My question is: for a Long Range precision load ... it's better the National Match or the standard .308 ?

.... Thank you

The National Match dies are made specifically for gas guns. 0.002" of an inch isn't much, about the thickness of a sheet of paper, so either would work for a bolt gun. However, I don't see where that little bit would make that much of a difference in itself. It might be worth asking Forster if any other dimensions differ between the two.

I would/did get the standard .308 dies. Forster's are excellant.

If I wished to load for a tight chambered gas gun that wouldn't chamber reliably - unlikely - I'd grind a couple of thou off the mouth of the standard die and use something like the RCBS Precision Case Mic or the Hornady LnL case length tool on a dial caliper to set the shoulders where I wanted them.

Ok,
thank you for yours replies.
in few words you say that the "National Match" dies are for rifle like M14 or similar semi-autos .... and for a bolt action it's better to go with the "standard .308" ...

Thank you again :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.