M1A national match reload

lorvan

I bought a few days from a friend an M14 super match rifle I thinck with a Douglas 1:10 inox barrel. In Italy we do not have the original military rounds.
Someone may recommend a reload data (preferably with Vittavuori powder) that I can use for shooting and hunting, I thing up to 600 yards?

Thank you.. grazie

Lorenzo

I do not know the CCI 35 primers; I use ofte the bench rest ones in my bolt action rifles. I have seen on the cci hhome page and I have found CCi 34 and CCI 41 for military semiauto rifles. Pheraps the CCI 34 are the right choice. Now I try to find the long range target shooting forum..

Thanks

Lorenzo

The M1As all like the M 852 match but if you can't find this ammo the powders to use are
4895 or 4064 with standard large rifle primers and 168gr SMKs. The other powders may not
produce the proper port pressures.

Maybe some of the M1A shooters will chime in.

Powder charges are around 40+grs in order to reach proper port pressures for smooth
operation. When the port pressure is right it will stack all the discharged brass in a neat
little pile at 2 o'clock.

With these loads you can hunt and target shoot ,or substitute 165 gr hunting bullets.

J E CUSTOM

When I was shooting my M1A (Springfield Super Match, with heavy barrel), my standard load for hunting was the Hornady 150 grain Spire Point hunting bullet, over 42.0 grains of IMR 4895, with Remington 9 1/2 primers, in Federal Match brass.

Easily under 1 inch at 100 yards for 5 rounds, and well within the correct pressure curve for the M1A gas system.

Jim

When I was shooting my M1A (Springfield Super Match, with heavy barrel), my standard load for hunting was the Hornady 150 grain Spire Point hunting bullet, over 42.0 grains of IMR 4895, with Remington 9 1/2 primers, in Federal Match brass.

Easily under 1 inch at 100 yards for 5 rounds, and well within the correct pressure curve for the M1A gas system.

Jim

Hello Jim, thank you.
I still do not know how to regulate the gas system of this rifle that I bought from a few days.
I would have thought of a more bullet weigh, as 168 grains with a 1:10 barrel, but perhaps a 150 grain is better, more speed, less drop until 500 yard I think.
And for the target shooting what do you use?

Lorenzo

Hello Jim, thank you.
I still do not know how to regulate the gas system of this rifle that I bought from a few days.
I would have thought of a more bullet weigh, as 168 grains with a 1:10 barrel, but perhaps a 150 grain is better, more speed, less drop until 500 yard I think.
And for the target shooting what do you use?

Lorenzo

The 150gr can be made to work as long as you use the right powder.

The Ball ammo (Full metal jacket) is around 147grs and it shoots OK ,and
they use ball powder but I'm not sure how much and what kind.

I recommended the 168 SMK because it was close to the military white box match (173gr full
patch boat tail bullet) and the 168 is used in the M 852 match. Also it has better BCs that
lighter bullets (better for shooting 600 and 1000 yards).

The loads listed earlier have the right port pressure so you don't have to mess with the gas
port.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.