Food Prices and On the Shelves Supply

Gates owns all the land where potatoes are grown for McDonald's fries!
Turner is an eccentric. I remember over 20 years ago he was driving in Atlanta with an old ford and no air conditioning in the middle of our HOT summer. He has bought thousands of acres of land and then turned it back to natural where he took out homes, buildings, roads, bridges, power lines. Good for habitat conversation, but does it in crazy way. Doesn't like hunters.
wrong again he allows access to public lands his ranch surrounds,his ranch is also leased by guides
so that throws the anti hunter comment out the window

I saw a woman cooking bobcat the other day on tv. Kinda weird but I'd eat it before a coyote. Also heard people eating mountain lion. I'd eat it before the first two.
Bear can be good. I wonder what wolf tastes like...
I make my own picked eggs. Sometimes I use beet juice.
I like beets ! I know they have to taste better than yote !
we have eaten mountain lion coons muskrat ,bobcats yotes gophers rattle snakes horse &domestic goats even tried wolf [extremely tough but seasoned right its not bad]

Great idea. Then I wouldn't need two dang freezers full of elk, deer, antelope , fish, goose, duck, pheasant, chucker, grouse and dove. No bull. Chicken , pork and beef in other. I give away a ton of game meat every year. I gave a whole whitetail doe to a buddy last Nov. Because I had no more room !
we do the same and we have 5 chest freezers ( 4 in the garage 1 in the house }plus a walk in freezer for hanging game so we normally never run out of freezer space

There aren't a ton of shooters from those states to begin with. We have a few members from them. That's why not as many posts. Numbers game. People from big cities as a rule don't live like most of us either. ....
Well, another way to look at it is there is a difference between hunting and shooting and that is probably reflected on the number of posts on this site.
Interestingly enough, I live in So Cal and my LGS is selling firearms at a daily rate that is awesome especially when you consider the hoops one has to go through to get one.
Where I am going with this is that on my one street alone, I know of 5 gunowners. So, I suspect there are a 'ton of shooters' in CA but many are not hunters.
Just my two cents and that doesn't buy much these days.

wrong again he allows access to public lands his ranch surrounds,his ranch is also leased by guides
so that throws the anti hunter comment out the window
I'm not sure why there continues to be this sentiment that only this 'type' of person is locking hunters out. I hardly hear a mention of the Wilks brothers and how they've managed the pay to play game. From friends in Lewistown what I've heard is that even the 'guests' to the ranch don't spend any $ in town. Catered meals at the ranch. Fly in, hunt and fish, fly out.

Last edited:
Well, another way to look at it is there is a difference between hunting and shooting and that is probably reflected on the number of posts on this site.
Interestingly enough, I live in So Cal and my LGS is selling firearms at a daily rate that is awesome especially when you consider the hoops one has to go through to get one.
Where I am going with this is that on my one street alone, I know of 5 gunowners. So, I suspect there are a 'ton of shooters' in CA but many are not hunters.
Just my two cents and that doesn't buy much these days.
There are a lot of hunters in Ca.. One of the most populated states. Go by the numbers and I bet there are more than twice as many hunters and gun owners than most states.

Some of next year's food security. We calve 4 a year for ourselves. friends & family. The rest go to market, We try to put up 100lbs of Axis burger and 50-100lbs of Axis / Wild Boar sausage every year. This year we put a Montana mulie and 1/2 a New Mexico cow elk in the freeze. We trade beef for meat goats or sheep with our neighbor across the road. We run our own chickens & bees. I did not get much of a garden in this year but it's Texas. I can grow late into the year, Our place is river front, plenty of catfish & bass. I feel sorry for those in urban environments. i would hate to have to count on others for my family's well being......a country boy can survive!
IMG_5546.jpg4595268.jpg

When I have done this in past, I have found that my wife was the "clock or calendar" when they had to be removed. Same with pickled deer heart curing. She would say it is pumping on its own now, so time to go!
Muddy,
What do you do with heart before pickeling ? I have a big beef heart I can experiment with before trying on any elk, deer or lope hearts. I have a lot of them cleaned, vacume sealed and frozen. Some are already cut in strips.

I like deer or elk heart pickled and sliced wafer thin so you can about see through it such it melts in your mouth. OMG, drooling! I also like fried heart so added both recipes. My wife does NOT like seeing a heart in a plastic tub "resting" in fridge cause she SWEARS she can see it beating and no way touch it with 50' pole. The biggest issue is to clean it out thoroughly to remove even the smallest blood clots so soaking in salt water is a must as well.
IMG_6862.JPG
IMG_6863.JPG

Last edited: