Freeze dried food

Orange Dust

All this talk about food,or lack thereof is making me think of something I have wanted to buy ever since the kids left home. Home freeze dryers run about $3k. I've always thought they were a great idea for leftovers, and would pay for themselves if they were actually eaten. Seems like by brain can only cook for 4 or more. Does anyone here have one? Is the reconstituted food good? OR is this something that will rot in a shed after the new wears off it?

i've thought about it, but they're too dang expensive for me right now. I pay $3k a month in daycare. luckily i've got one going to kindergarten this year, so it'll go down to about $2k.

i would use that money to buy land so you can grow your own food. in 20 years, all the farmland will be owed by bill gates or china.

I purchased a brand name freeze dried meals for emergencies. It was under $200 and believe it is a month's worth for 2. If it's that bad and a month isn't enough we're in it pretty deep. And 3g is more than I could or would spend on it. But I would never knock anyone for spending $$ on something that they want.

I purchased a brand name freeze dried meals for emergencies. It was under $200 and believe it is a month's worth for 2. If it's that bad and a month isn't enough we're in it pretty deep. And 3g is more than I could or would spend on it. But I would never knock anyone for spending $$ on something that they want.
same, buy some here and there and now i have a decent stash. i've got 5 to feed though. 7 if you count my parents. costco has good deals on bulk items, even now.

Freeze dried food is so expensive, and I'm sure home made would taste much better. Always thought it might be the answer for feeding my grown kids in a food crisis. They are in the heat and serve crowd and cannot cook from scratch. Looks like it was, a good idea that I waited too long to implement. If I had done it in the Obama years when everyone was stocking up on food and ammo I would have them covered by now. It still might not be too late but the clock is sure ticking.

Freeze dried food is so expensive, and I'm sure home made would taste much better. Always thought it might be the answer for feeding my grown kids in a food crisis. They are in the heat and serve crowd and cannot cook from scratch. Looks like it was, a good idea that I waited too long to implement. If I had done it in the Obama years when everyone was stocking up on food and ammo I would have them covered by now. It still might not be too late but the clock is sure ticking.
i buy mainly fruits/veggies. i have some meat too but in a food crisis, my plan has been to hunt and fish to provide meat. dont forget about water purification. have a way to collect rain water and purify it as you'll need it for the freeze dried food. a rocket stove is super easy to make out of concrete and can run off of twigs and pine cones. you can boil water or cook food with it.

i've thought about it, but they're too dang expensive for me right now. I pay $3k a month in daycare. luckily i've got one going to kindergarten this year, so it'll go down to about $2k.

i would use that money to buy land so you can grow your own food. in 20 years, all the farmland will be owed by bill gates or china.
Pretty much. They own quite a bit of it now I'm told.

I dehydrate my own Backpacking meals. I long for a freeze dryer, but I can get over the cost. Also, the good ones require a designated 240v circuit and are much more costly that the $3k models you're referencing. The bigger issue is that you can't dehydrate or freeze dry a meal you cooked conventionally, and expect it to turn out. There are a lot of adaptations in the cooking process to make it reconstitute well.

I dehydrate my own Backpacking meals. I long for a freeze dryer, but I can get over the cost. Also, the good ones require a designated 240v circuit and are much more costly that the $3k models you're referencing. The bigger issue is that you can't dehydrate or freeze dry a meal you cooked conventionally, and expect it to turn out. There are a lot of adaptations in the cooking process to make it reconstitute well.
Don't know much about it... reason for the thread. Hoping to learn more from someone with the t-shirt.

Mountain House meals are fine for us.

We buy packaged freeze dried meals so we can pack in lighter, and quickly prepare meals while hunting.

We don't backpack hunt in order to prepare home grown, freeze dried meals.