Fluting a #3 Bartlein barrel??

2, perhaps have it Cerakoted. Shillen won't flute a barrel and voids warranty if it's done. Fluting induces stresses which weren't there prior to fluting. Some barrels are stress relieved after fluting which would help. As stated, it's a crap shoot just cutting flutes without addressing stress. Good luck

Tim North of Broughton Barrels, All machining on a barrel creates stresses, Flute the barrel blank first , Send the barrel back to time and he will reheat the barrel to relieve
the stresses and then he laps the barrel, Never had a Broughton that did not shoot

I have a 6.5x47 L in a #3 Brux straight fluted and melonited. Shoots 1/2 moa to 500 yds. with Berger 130 HVLDs. It's not a problem if it's done properly.

Straight fluted Bartelin #3b in 7RM.

Shoots just fine. 180 Hybrid @ 2996
5 shots @ 200

5 shots at 806

Elk @ 662 yards

Spiral fluted Bartlein #3b in 6.5 SS

150 SMK @ 3117fps
3 shots @ 200

Antelope @ a measly 186 yards

When I talked to a guy a PVA about a barreled action, I asked about barrel contours and fluting. He had said that he would NOT recommend fluting a button rifled barrel under a #5, a #5 and up or a light palma and up are fine. Then I think he said you could flute "don't quote me" a cut rifled barrel down to a #3 because the cut barrel don't have the stresses like the button rifled barrel.

When I talked to a guy a PVA about a barreled action, I asked about barrel contours and fluting. He had said that he would NOT recommend fluting a button rifled barrel under a #5, a #5 and up or a light palma and up are fine. Then I think he said you could flute "don't quote me" a cut rifled barrel down to a #3 because the cut barrel don't have the stresses like the button rifled barrel.

BS.

Ah that's what he said.....whether you believe that or not. Anything can be done sure but whether it performs after the fact who knows, it's a gamble.
I did read some article on fluting that said that it made a barrel weaker than if it wasn't, does that hold any water? They had something where they put two of the same contour barrels (one fluted and one not) in a vise or some how held it solid and hung a weight on the end, the one with flutes sagged more......each to their own....I do like the looks of a fluted barrel, especially a spiral fluted barrel=sexy

I ordered a .264 #3 contour fluted barrel from Bartlein with out any problem. They told me #3 was the smallest contour they would flute. My barrel finished at 28 in. Shoots under .3. 264 win mag 140 gr Berger VLD

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.