Barrel Fluting

jbs2014

What are your opinions on barrel fluting? I know that it does reduce weight and increases surface area so it aids in cooling.

How does it affect barrel harmonics?
Does it compromise the structural integrity of the barrel making it more likely to blow up?
Do spiral flutes do anything besides look cool?
Is there a fluting type that is preferred for accuracy?

I am in the process of getting a custom .50 BMG barrel kit for my Desert Tech HTI and I am wondering if I should go with the manufacturer that can flute the barrel or the one that offers the K&P barrel without flutes?

Thank you for your time.

The weight savings isn't much, proably like dropping down one contour number depending on the contour. If you like the looks and are willing to pay the extra $150
Or so for fluting go for it. If you are expecting extreme weight differences, and way better cooling I would skip it's more for looks or when counting ounces.

What are your opinions on barrel fluting? I know that it does reduce weight and increases surface area so it aids in cooling.

How does it affect barrel harmonics?
Does it compromise the structural integrity of the barrel making it more likely to blow up?
Do spiral flutes do anything besides look cool?
Is there a fluting type that is preferred for accuracy?

I am in the process of getting a custom .50 BMG barrel kit for my Desert Tech HTI and I am wondering if I should go with the manufacturer that can flute the barrel or the one that offers the K&P barrel without flutes?

Thank you for your time.
Definitely minimal weight savings and probably next to no differences in cooling but I have to wonder anytime you cut on a barrel that is already made you would be adding stress to that barrel in my opinion which would degrade accuracy

For an HTI , it's strictly cosmetic. I'd call SAC and TS Costoms , go with whichever can get it done quicker. I've had DTA barrels from both shops and they're equally excellent.

Any custom DTA barrel is going to shoot great fluted or not . Anybody recommending that you buy a good trigger for an HTI has an obvious case of cranial rectosis .

Any custom DTA barrel is going to shoot great fluted or not . Anybody recommending that you buy a good trigger for an HTI has an obvious case of cranial rectosis .
I am happy with the HTIs factory trigger. I would just buy the regular DT barrel assembly but I doubt I could safely get a 750 grain projectile to 2850 with a 29" barrel.

All of my fluted bbls shoot fantastic. I have them done by the barrel manufacturer spec'd for maximum weight reduction. It's not purely cosmetic for me. Properly fluted barrels make a more balanced carry rifle and I love well balanced rifles.

I don't know if they are any worse But 45 years as a machinist says any machining
causes stresses and if you stress it after you finish the bore it can't help!
As for triggers I use Bix n Andy Marksman 2 stage They are the finest!

I have read that after fluting a barrel, it must be stress relieved, adding to the cost.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.