Barrel Fluting

I think they are mostly for looks? No one has proven to me that a fluted barrel shoots
one bit better than the same barrel un-fluted! I save the cash and use it on a good trigger.

He's buying a HTI. No other trigger options.
OP: save the money. Fluting does not aid in barrel cooling. It is small weight savings.

Call Marty at Twisted Barrel he will be able to answer all those questions. Top notch guy and work is excellent and fast turn around.
Spiral twist does make the barrel noticeably lighter. If your gun feels muzzle heavy it will do the trick. I haven't seen any accuracy issues at all. Custom barrels are completely stress relieved and I don't think fluting changes that. A spiral fluted bolt seems to be much smoother running to me. Just my observations.
Shep

If properly done, fluting doesn't effect accuracy at all. I have had exceptionally accurate, fluted barrels. Depending on barrel size and fluting style, it probably saves 1/4 to 1/2 pound of weight. I haven't really noticed a difference in cooling time. Appearance is probably a major factor for most shooters. IMO.

What are your opinions on barrel fluting? I know that it does reduce weight and increases surface area so it aids in cooling.

How does it affect barrel harmonics?
Does it compromise the structural integrity of the barrel making it more likely to blow up?
Do spiral flutes do anything besides look cool?
Is there a fluting type that is preferred for accuracy?

I am in the process of getting a custom .50 BMG barrel kit for my Desert Tech HTI and I am wondering if I should go with the manufacturer that can flute the barrel or the one that offers the K&P barrel without flutes?

Thank you for your time.
The reasons for what you stated to justify fluting a bbl is all BS. According to to my bbl maker. The bbl should be remapped if this is done to a finished bbl. all flutes are for is cuteness... I have several ... but will not do it again.

Brian litz studied fluting. Heavy barrels will perform better with heat. Thinner barrels warm up faster.

Carbon will can be stiffer, but lighter over a heavy barrel. Carbon will also cool quicker at times because it won't retain heat as much as metal

The Brian Litz work was co-authored by Carl Zant in Vol 2. The summary excerpt was:
  • Fluted barrels showed measurably more POI shift compared to barrels of the same contour that weren't fluted.
You can find negative results published by Accuracy International as well regarding fluting and its affects on accuracy.

From my point of view, you can also find plenty of anecdotal examples of reports of fluted rifles that shoot well which leads me to believe results may vary. However, I spend lots of money on my precision shooting equipment to try and eliminate variables and improve consistency. I quit spending my money fluting as I don't want to be adding further variables into my custom builds. I would rather spend money on carbon stocks and similar features to save weight.

What are your opinions on barrel fluting? I know that it does reduce weight and increases surface area so it aids in cooling.

Does it compromise the structural integrity of the barrel making it more likely to blow up?

I am in the process of getting a custom .50 BMG barrel kit for my Desert Tech HTI and I am wondering if I should go with the manufacturer that can flute the barrel or the one that offers the K&P barrel without flutes?

Thank you for your time.
If you like the looks , and you can get the weight of one contour size lighter. Why wouldn't you get your barrel fluted. Everytime you look at the gun you will appreciate the appearance and quality. I would do it.

Definitely minimal weight savings and probably next to no differences in cooling but I have to wonder anytime you cut on a barrel that is already made you would be adding stress to that barrel in my opinion which would degrade accuracy
While I'm guessing some barrel makers flute their barrels after cutting the rifling the ones that I have spoken to do the flutes before cutting the bore and thread so as not to add extra stress to the barrel after the rifling process is completed.

I have also heard of barrel makers ( button rifling) fluting their barrel after the rifling and contour process and then lapping the bore last .
I have only a little experience of barrel fluting ( I fluted about 50 or so barrels in the last few years, factory and custom ) but I never had a complaint about accuracy. The barrel needs to be in a set up with good support and rigidity other wise shatter marks come pretty quickly and more stress would be induced into the barrel.

Thank you for your time.

IDK of any research on the subject.
But given that Barrett does it on nearly every military contract rifle, I have to believe it is not cosmetic or traditional.
They have consistently shown a willingness to think outside the box.
If a new smooth contour was superior to their flute design I think they would use it.

Or they use it to inflate the pricing to the government?
Go to a big shoot and look at the top 15 shooters rifles.
How many are fluted? Believe me if it helped they would be!
Actually if we could check it the barrel changes every time it's shot
It relieves stresses through vibration and heat.

Last edited:
I think it is more of a coolness factor, however it does reduce weight to a certain extent. Mine shoot well enough so can't say how much it reduces accuracy.

Look at the top 15 sheep hunters. Bet they don't look like the 15 comp shooters guns. I don't know any sheep hunters but I bet they carry light rifles. I have made rifles less than 6 pounds 2 ways. Number 1 contour barrel and number 2 with spiral fluting. Yes the fluting is shallow on a number 2 but it gets me under 6 pounds. I personally like the look. I like proof carbon too. Not every budget can get a 700 dollar barrel. Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.