Flat shooting Elk gun?

Fotis

What would be your caliber choice for long range hunting? Just looking for some opinions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

POP,

My 7mm Allen Mag loaded with the 200 gr Wildcat ULD RBBT to 3200 fps. This bullet should have a B.C. in the very high .900 range. Run the numbers.

Reports will be coming this summer on this new round and bullet!!

Good Shooting!

Kirby Allen(50)

The .338/300 is another option 200gr bullet at 3500+fps,250@3120,300@ 3000fps. No pun intended Kirby, your rounds sound really good too.

[ QUOTE ]
Yep in this game the factors are almost unlimited.How long does it take to recieve the wildcat bullets?

[/ QUOTE ] richard Graves
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]
Personal Information:
Address:
Alberta
Canada
Phone: 780-352-8592

You need to contact Richard and ask him that question. Get the word from the wildcat himself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mr. Allen, how does your 7mm wildcat compare to the 7mm Ultra mag? What is the parent case? I can only get about 3250 with 175's from my 7mm Ultra Mag. Thanks in advance for any info.

Hey I have already contacted Richard and ordered the bullets
he didn't mention a time frame it has been several days I knew Kirby has ordered them hence my question?

I think a 30-338 laupa improved 35 degree shoulder would work well for you. I know have one in a sporter type rifle with tensioned aluminum barrel 30 inches long. I can shoot hornady 150 interbonds from 3750 to 3850 FPS with 97 to 100 grains of 7828 depending on temps. It flat out kills and you can't beat the brass great quality and Easy to form. I am going to try some wildcat bullets too they are a little hard to get alhold of . I sure hope the wait will be worth it . Im sure it will. I would set a gun up to use the wildcat bullets and still be able to shoot the interbonded bt's Kirby does have some rounds that will give the long range flat shooting performaance you are looking for. I 'm just giving other options. My luapa with the junk hornady 150's interbonds at 3750 drop 5 moa at 500 yrds and drop 16.8 at a 1000 yards and still have 1148 ft pounds. I would go with heavier bullets if you plan to shoot past a 1000. Most of my hunting is under 800 yards and the speed flat out kills. Kirbys 7mm with the 200 grain bullets is the ballistic king if richard make up enough bullets to keep up with the demand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sniper2,

It depends on what bullets you order from Richard as to how long it will take you to get your order.

What I would recommend with the Wildcat bullets is that since they are totally custom bullets meaning they are generally made to your specific order, its fine to order a single box or so to test but if you find you want to keep using these bullets, ordering as many as you can is the best idea.

That said, please do not ever take that as meaning Richard does not want or encourage any size order.

Most of the Wildcat Bullets I am using are basically total custom bullets and some are still in a somewhat prototype stage so they can take a while to get made. Bullet jackets are not like ordering a box of Sierras from Midway.

For what Richard offers his customers, the turn around is pretty impressive.

Shipping across the boarder can take a few more days compared to in states orders but this is not a big deal, again, if you find a bullet that you like, order a good amount of them and you will save on both shipping and time.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

p.s. Just as a friendly comparision, how do you think that 200 gr 338 bullet at 3500 fps would compare to my 7mm with Richards 200 gr ULD moving out at a lowly 3200 fps at say +1000 yards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

257speed,

Sorry no fine details can be offered yet, we are getting deep into testing though.

I will tell you that out target performance goals are to out step the 7.21 Firebird by a substantial margin, espeically ballistically.

Can not give away any secrets on case or dimensions yet. Soon though.

I will say it will be based on some of the best brass offered today and should be able to be squeezed into a Rem 700 repeating rifle.

I personally feel our 3200 fps goal with the 200 gr ULD will be on the conservative side but this is generally the way we predict the performance of our new rounds.

The 257 and 270 Allen Mags both topped our predicted performance goals by up to 100 fps.

All the details will be out soon as rifles will be on the range by mid summer.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

With your high BC bullet you'd kick ***, unless I could come up with one with a high BC.You would be flatter shooting not necessarily more accurate. How are the 300 and 350's Richard makes for the ,338 doing in your Kahn?The 200
wouldn't be my choice for distance, but the 300gr SMK at
3000fps would probably be a contender? In any event with a BC of around .9 your 7 will be tough to beat.

[ QUOTE ]
200 gr Wildcat ULD RBBT to 3200 fps. This bullet should have a B.C. in the very high .900 range.

[/ QUOTE ]
200gr 7MM's with a B.C of high .900 something... That sounds
nice!!! how much do they cost?

Ran the numbers on one of my programs and your 7 will shoot over 3moa flatter than the 300gr SMK with more retained velocity with just a little less energy very impressive
touche'.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts