Long Range Elk Gun

The rifle I'm thinking about getting is 9.5 lbs with the scope - it's not a feather, but not a lead balloon either. I think the savage I was shooting is in the 12 lb range. That's a little too much for me to feel comfortable shooting quick if one runs up in front of me at close range. I tried holding it free hand with the scope on 5 power and was wobbling all over. I'm used to my light .243 with the scope on 2 power for deer in the brush :)

I definitely train before I go out west and at 28 I'm lucky to still have youth on my side, for now at least. There is a road that goes up a steep mountain by where I live that's three miles continuously uphill. It's my favorite place to run.

If we are still talking "Long Range Elk Rifle" like the title says, I will take a little weight over the instability of a light weight rifle any day. When you go down for a long shot that weight will be your friend. If your alone and want to see your own hit that weight will again be your friend. I got into better shape and health since last season and shed 40 lbs. I feel better than ever and a 35 lb pack is not a problem for me at all at 57 yrs of age. Before I will lighten a real elk rifle too much to be a couple pounds lighter, I will take a crap before I head out in the morning. lightbulb :D

Jeff

To the OP,

As I previously noted, you have been provided excellent advice/recommendations; what you do with it is entirely up to you. If you can live with your decision and the cosequences associated with it, then go for it and have a blast.

Cheers!

I feel honored that all of you considerate ELK HUNTING gentlemen are now using the lightbulb icon.

I selected my Huskemaw to top off my rife because of it's lightbulb weight and simplistic thinking turret system, come to think of it I select my women in the same manner! :D

Beautiful rifle FEENIX!

You guys RULE!

Last edited:
To the OP,

If you can live with your decision and the cosequences associated with it, then go for it and have a blast.

Cheers!

I'm just trying to put the research in so I don't make a decision I regret. I don't like to purchase multiples of things. I'm a once and done person - which points to a custom. But I also need to make sure the extra few thousand is worth it. The advice is very much appreciated :)

I'm just trying to put the research in so I don't make a decision I regret. I don't like to purchase multiples of things. I'm a once and done person - which points to a custom. But I also need to make sure the extra few thousand is worth it. The advice is very much appreciated :)

... and you should, $6K is a big chunk of change! That's why I responded accordingly as I did in #86 in support of your positive experience in #84..

Elk hunting is no cake walk! Do yourself a favor and get yourself into physical conditioning program to go after the elk safely.

I carry a 10-lbs rifle and a 35-lbs of back pack and accessories up and down the MT wilderness. Not bad for an old fart. :D

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

FEENIX, was wondering what is the make and caliber of your rifle, and what was your longest shot you have successfully taken on Elk to date?

Noticed that you too own a Huskemaw, good choice, I really like my Blue Diamond! :)

If we are still talking "Long Range Elk Rifle" like the title says, I will take a little weight over the instability of a light weight rifle any day. When you go down for a long shot that weight will be your friend. If your alone and want to see your own hit that weight will again be your friend. I got into better shape and health since last season and shed 40 lbs. I feel better than ever and a 35 lb pack is not a problem for me at all at 57 yrs of age. Before I will lighten a real elk rifle too much to be a couple pounds lighter, I will take a crap before I head out in the morning. lightbulb :D

Jeff
Broz has a great point and I don't know of anyone that has killed more elk. I would listen to what he has to say on LR Elk hunting!

Below is my Rbros semi light weight 338 RUM. It about the weight of a Sendero, but it allows me to spot my shots. I just took this bull at 657 yards shooting a 250grn Berger

Attachments

• Elk 1 2015.jpg
    Elk 1 2015.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Elk 2 2015.jpg
    Elk 2 2015.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 74
I did the metal work on a rifle that is about as light as I'd go for a straight up elk hammer, McMillan Rem stock, Kreiger #5, Stiller tac 300, Jewel trigger with a Nightforce optic chambered in 338 RUM. During load development it ran in the .5 range at 300 yards and will hold that on paper at 1000 yards. Running a 250 Berger just shy of 3000 fps with a 26 inch barrel and it came in as pictured in the 9.5 lb range. I prefer a little heavier but I won't rule out killing an elk well beyond 1000 yards if conditions are correct so I want a gun that will get on the ground a little better.
IMG_20140731_214240_663_zpsd4370869.jpg

FEENIX, was wondering what is the make and caliber of your rifle,

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/

, and what was your longest shot you have successfully taken on Elk to date?

931 yards (but with .300 Win Mag 190 Berger VLD 3043 FPS). My self-imposed range limit is 1000 yards on game (at least for now) ... with the right conditions of course.

Noticed that you too own a Huskemaw, good choice, I really like my Blue Diamond! :)

It's actually a http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...w-ballistic-e1-ffp-reticle-130833/index5.html

As do I Sir, as do I! This Canadian has to shoot far because of the limited amount of elk here.

I will also shoot wolves that are killing them Without My Permission, at longer ranges! gun) :D

I did the metal work on a rifle that is about as light as I'd go for a straight up elk hammer, McMillan Rem stock, Kreiger #5, Stiller tac 300, Jewel trigger with a Nightforce optic chambered in 338 RUM. During load development it ran in the .5 range at 300 yards and will hold that on paper at 1000 yards. Running a 250 Berger just shy of 3000 fps with a 26 inch barrel and it came in as pictured in the 9.5 lb range. I prefer a little heavier but I won't rule out killing an elk well beyond 1000 yards if conditions are correct so I want a gun that will get on the ground a little better.
IMG_20140731_214240_663_zpsd4370869.jpg

Love that rifle! That's the stock I'm looking at for my 6.5 SS build.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts