FL or bushing die?

wouldn't a mandrel correct FL/neck sizing ? I never heard using a FL bushing die and a mandrel.
I guess you could use a static one step die but if it doesn't move the neck diameter enough what do you do then? What if you want more neck tension than you can get with a static die? That's all I was saying. I'm not saying a static die cannot be used with a mandrel.

IMO, the honed Forster….if you need it honed, is the best die. My 300 WSM is neck turned and needs no honing.

I do get acceptable runout from bushing and std fl dies. I require 0.006" bullet runout or less from necks that have 0.002-0.004" clearance and less than 0.0015 thickness variation. These are kind of rough numbers.

This is all to achieve 0.5" groups at 100yds or less.

The "quiet" part is from my affinity for suppressors.... so it's harder to find me if anyone from the .gov ever makes the mistake of coming looking ;) :cool:

mark wahlberg shooter GIF

Oh hi Mr ATF agent!

I guess you could use a static one step die but if it doesn't move the neck diameter enough what do you do then? What if you want more neck tension than you can get with a static die? That's all I was saying. I'm not saying a static die cannot be used with a mandrel.
What do you mean by a static one step die ?

What do you mean by a static one step die ?
Just a typical SAAMI based non-bushing die. It moves the neck down in 1 step. You push the case in a squeeze it goes down to some static size. A bushing die is non-static in the user can select various different sizes to make the neck.

Well you need a sizer die to start the process. But remember if you use a standard SAAMI one step sizer you run a risk of causing runout numbers to go up. Which will effect accuracy.

Frankly if you want to use an expander mandrel I don't see a way around using a bushing die to allow you to control neck sizing as precisely as possible before applying the mandrel. From what I can glean the mandrel step is suppose to give better case to case accuracy on tension. On these steps anything you can do to improve the result will pay off in consistency.
what about a body die and a Lee collet neck die ?

what about a body die and a Lee collet neck die ?
Don't know never used either. I think there are lot of things that will work if the hit all the parts of the case that need sizing. ie. Neck, Body and shoulder. I've been using a 2 step process with a start and finish bushing in a FL bushing die for years with good results but there's more than one way to skin a cat as they say. It's about consistent results. If something works for you keep doing it.

why didn't you just say that in the first place? This thread is confusing enough, with different ways of loading. 🤪
I thought I did the first time. The meaning of the word static is it's fixed, not changeable. What ever. There are lots of ways to load. You gotta find what works for you.