Fl bushing die

Iclimb

If I get a redding or other FL Bushing die can I back it out to where I'm not working the case body and use it much like a neck die?

Can you with either a neck or fl bushing die pull the bushing and put in say a berger seating stem (redding) and use it to seat with?

Stupid question probably, I've never dealt with a bushing die but I'm thinking of upgrading, may try to get a hornady set if I can, probably will just go with redding.

Thanks for helping a noob

I would recommend calling Redding to make sure you get the right answer. In my experience they are very helpful.

Here is my experience/opinion:

With a FL bushing die, you should be able to control shoulder bump using die position (how deeply it is screwed in). You will still size the body of the case. If you don't screw down far enough to bump the shoulder, you may actually "grow" your shoulder measurement - the shoulder will move forward as the case body is sized. If you want to neck-size only, go with a true neck-sizer and get a body die for the times you need to FL size.

I am pretty sure that you cannot replace the bushing adjustment assembly in a bushing neck size die (FL or otherwise) and replace it with a seater.

I have several Redding competition sets (neck bushing, body die, competition seater) and really like them.

Good luck - and let me know if Redding tells you something different than the above!

Brandon

Thanks, I read a post somewhere, I think it was wit hornady dies. I thought they said the got a seating stem and they were using a neck die to seat with. I read it a couple times, maybe I misunderstood

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.