First time working up a load, I'm impressed.

101stCurrahee

I just tested out my first loads in my Bergara HMR chambered in 300 win mag. I'm using H1000 and 215 Berger hybrids.

I started at 72 and worked up to 78 grains in .5 grain increments, 3 rounds each. I was hoping to get some pressure signs, but don't think I got there. At 75.5 grains I had a slight ejector mark on one, but none one any others even at 78.

For the most part they were all 1 MOA or below. Occasionally I got up to 2 MOA but most were good. At 77 grains I shot a <.4MOA group. at 77.5 and 78 they opened up huge to 2 MOA.

I'm anxious to try out some 5 rounds groups here and see how repeatable this is. I'm wondering if I should even try .2 grains in either direction. I never expected to get below .5 MOA in this $900 stock rifle. My ES was 43 though, is that going to be an issue? Low was 2861 high was 2904.

I'm trying to shoot out to a mile. The goal is to find a node with the highest FPS without being over pressured correct? Should I continue up above 78 grains since I didn't see any real signs of pressure, or is that stupid considering I'm pushing 2900 FPS and less than .4MOA already?

Thanks

Attachments

• 74313276_1490334471144447_6017202881948549120_n.jpg
    74313276_1490334471144447_6017202881948549120_n.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 117
You'll want to get that es down a bit if you want to take it to a mile. Es of 43 is about 48" with your setup. Maybe a primer change? Shooter can also have influence on es also.

You are on the right track brother. As mentioned that ES is up there and that can be from a couple of reasons. How are you metering powder and how are you controlling your neck tension? These are two big factors also in high ES. As far as powder charge you are in the right area. Depending on brass I usually see nodes from 76.5 to 78 area with 215s. You may also see a slight change in ES numbers. I would try to revisit areas of interest now in .2 gr increments to fine tune.

Do you mean at a mile that ES will cause a 48" variation??

How can shooter influence it?

I'm using a standard RCBS balance beam powder scale and powder trickler.

As for neck tension, I'm currently doing nothing. This was brand new gunwerks brass. I have no tools to neck turn or measure run out, but if it's very important I can get them.

The primers are CCI #250 magnums

So, for this next batch. Should I load up 5 rounds each of 76.8, 77, and 77.2? 77.5 opened way up so I don't think that's going in the right direction.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I would stay away from the 77.8, 78 realm if they opened up. I tend to do about the same thing with exception to I will at minimum run a expander mandrel through all the necks to give a little bit of consistency and work out any case dings. I dont read a lot into first fired brass as far as doing real load work. It will give you an idea of accuracy and find where you hit the pressure ceiling but it will change once the brass is actually fireformed. As far as your scale I have never really messed with beam scales so can't attest to their accuracy. However, I do run a A&D Fx120i so I know my powder charges are to the kernel this tends to lend to relatively low SD numbers as long as your neck tension is in check and you are in a good node.

H1k and the 215 Berger is an excellent starting point.

You're going to need to get that ES way way down to really have fun at half the range you're aspiring to.

IMHO, it all starts with a great foundation. That would be the best brass you can buy I don't think it's Gunwerks is it. I believe it's made by Hornady. IF you can find RWS it is as good as it gets but made from un-obtanium. Next would be Norma, ADG or Nosler IMO.

You didn't say but I'm guessing your .4 MOA group is at 100 yards. You really need to move out to 300 minimum for testing as it will give you more info. If available, 500 would be better. What you're looking for is vertical dispersion from that 43 ES and it doesn't show up at 100.

I just started loading a custom 30 nosler with H1k and the 215s, I'm at 20 fps avg. for 15 rounds on new ADG brass and I'm hoping to drop it below 15. Single digets would be great but I don't know if I can get it there. As it is, it's shooting 1 inch at 300 yards with very little vertical.

Once you've found your best seating depth and charge weight, you're going to want to weight sort everything and do the best brass prep you can.

Here's a great story on the subject by a man that know's what he's talking about. He shoots competitively out to 2 miles.

https://aprifles.com/blogs/thoughts-from-the-ranch/16711779-all-about-that-brass

Never hurts to go until you see pressure but your likely pretty close. You could find another sweet spot higher up.

If you haven't done a ladder to find your pressure and velocity sweet spots, I would go back and start there, then load groups based off of that.

Your ES will stabilize some after barrel is broke in so the load you have may work.

Getting your barrel broke in and cases firesized will help es greatly too! Then again your gun may hate h1000 and love imr7828.

Do you mean at a mile that ES will cause a 48" variation??

How can shooter influence it?

I'm using a standard RCBS balance beam powder scale and powder trickler.

As for neck tension, I'm currently doing nothing. This was brand new gunwerks brass. I have no tools to neck turn or measure run out, but if it's very important I can get them.

The primers are CCI #250 magnums

So, for this next batch. Should I load up 5 rounds each of 76.8, 77, and 77.2? 77.5 opened way up so I don't think that's going in the right direction.

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, at a mile, just your velocity es will cause 48" of vertical.
How you hold your rifle and manage the recoil will have an influence on the es. It's pure physics (every action has an equal and opposite reaction) Consistency is everything. You're on the right track though!

I'd try some at 76.6, 76.8 and see how they perform. Depending on ambient temperature compared to regular shooting temps I try to go in the middle of the node, unless it's really cold or really hot while I'm testing.
You'lol need to test farther to see how ur vertical spread is doing.
A primer change might be required.
You can also anneal your brass, uniform primer flash holes, and weight sort your primers to help get ur es down.
I only half believe es readings from chronys. They still have a degree of error that easily misconstrues your velocity data. Targets don't lie

I just tested out my first loads in my Bergara HMR chambered in 300 win mag. I'm using H1000 and 215 Berger hybrids.

I started at 72 and worked up to 78 grains in .5 grain increments, 3 rounds each. I was hoping to get some pressure signs, but don't think I got there. At 75.5 grains I had a slight ejector mark on one, but none one any others even at 78.

For the most part they were all 1 MOA or below. Occasionally I got up to 2 MOA but most were good. At 77 grains I shot a <.4MOA group. at 77.5 and 78 they opened up huge to 2 MOA.

I'm anxious to try out some 5 rounds groups here and see how repeatable this is. I'm wondering if I should even try .2 grains in either direction. I never expected to get below .5 MOA in this $900 stock rifle. My ES was 43 though, is that going to be an issue? Low was 2861 high was 2904.

I'm trying to shoot out to a mile. The goal is to find a node with the highest FPS without being over pressured correct? Should I continue up above 78 grains since I didn't see any real signs of pressure, or is that stupid considering I'm pushing 2900 FPS and less than .4MOA already?

Thanks
I shot the same load 77.5 works best for me and has staryed the same on 2 barrels in my action shoots .5 moa at 100 all day long at 78 groups opened up we shoot 1100 yards ans 1214 yards a lot works good there and at a mile. but where it realy works is on large game at long range bear, moose and boos one and done

a mile is a very big goal !! cudos for the attempt, you will learn ( and spend ) so much

i suggest you give yourself , a definition of completing your challenge ... such as, a 24" target 3 out of 5 shots or only the first shot of the day counts

wind ... wind really blows , but mostly sucks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.