first rifle I payed for, how to improve

cat_slayer

Central or West, Texas depending on the year
Ok so I recently bought a brand new Weatherby Vanguard .223, It isn't the sub MOA but the factory target that came with it measured 7/16 with factory ammo.

My first question is first what do yall think my expectation should be, I would LOVE to be able to shoot it confidently out to at least 800, but idk how realalistic that is with a factory barrel.

My second question is what would yall do next to the gun to inprove it's acurracy.

thanks a lot, Jacob

Jacob, a .223 is not really an 800 yard gun, unless you have an 8 or 9 twist and shoot the heavier match bullets 69 grains on up. Most sporter wieght rifles come with a 1-12 twist, for shooting 40-55 grain bullets. With practice those can be shot accuratly to 500 yards in calm winds.

Find out your twist rate, this is needed info.

Trigger work may be all you need if it's already sub 1/2"

Jacob,
I have a Vanguard in .257 Wby, it wasnt a sub MOA either. I finally bought a Timney trigger for it about a year and a half ago. I think it was about $100 or so. That new trigger took it from being an OK shooter to a great shooter. Changing out the trigger wasnt hard and it really makes that gun alot more fun to shoot. That gun became a sub-MOA Vanguard after that.

timney are easy to install. The problem with a 223 it is a little small for your goal distance(800-1000). A fast twist barrel is required to send a larger projectile downrange. The largest 22cal projectile will be easily overcome with the slightest wind change.

Brent

That Timney wasnt hard to install at all. If I remember correctly I had to carve a bit out of the stock to make it fit. The modification was inside the stock and
cosmetically you can't see any difference. The trigger had good instructions with it too. I am not sure of your abilities but its pretty basic so I would say go for it. Of course I deny all liability for any bad things that happen.:D
That Timney I put on mine truely made me appreciate a good trigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.