.338 for first rifle?

A CZ 452/455 in .22 LR would make an excellent 'first rifle'. The vast majority of American shooters and hunters started with a .22. It is inexpensive to shoot, has no recoil or muzzle blast to speak of, and comes in rifles that are relatively inexpensive, light weight, and widely available. All of which translates to a rifle/caliber you can shoot a LOT, often, and concentrate on the basics of learning to shoot without getting seriously kicked and blasted.
As far as scopes, I have no idea what is available to you, or your budget. Most Americans do NOT have an extremely high-end scope on their .22's, unless they are target/match shooters. Most have decent optics dedicated to staying on that .22, and with the low/no recoil of a .22, a much more inexpensive scope can be used without worrying about recoil shooting it to pieces. Weaver, Nikon, Burris, Bushnell, Leupold, and Vortex all make very nice scopes at their respective price points, and each maker has a number of different series at different price points also. Most American made/used centerfire-intended scopes that do not have adjustable objectives or side-focus adjustments, are adjusted parallax free at 100 Yards/Meters.
I'm new on this site and a newby to Long Range specialty shooting, but I have been shooting/hunting in general for 40 years. Hope this helps.

Precisely! .22LR and in particular a CZ which is inexpensive and extremely accurate. Hopefully the OP did this 4 years ago when ammo was available!

Follow up with a .308 to learn to shoot centerfire. Enough recoil to need to manage it but not so much to be a flinch causing distraction. Also capable of most big game hunting anywhere in the world.

The .338's are like a Lamborghini or Ferrari. Everyone wants one but no one really NEEDS one.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts