How to paint a rifle

outdooraddict

I was just wondering how or actually what process you use to paint a rifle. Say for instance a synthetic stock and stainless or blued barrel. What prep work for stock and barrel and action.

ODaddict,

It all depends on the quality of the results you desire.

A) Auto show quality

B) Drab old standard camo patterns that look good only to humans and do nothing for actual camo.

c) Good old american folk art quality.

D) DIY wally world outdoor crafts paint. (What the gals use for artsi craftsi stuff.

Auto Show Quality (pearled white, candied blue and red)

DIY air bush w/outdoor crafts paint.

As I dont care for the flashy stainless barrel I just want to air brush a simple camo pattern and on one of my shotguns that I duck hunt with I want to paint over the wood and blued finish. I dont know why I get some stupid ideas sometimes. After I wipe all the oil off just start with a primer or what? Thanks again

Stupid ideas???? Those r the kind that make life fun and keep the stress level down.

Degrease w/a good degreaser. The Gunk green stuff in the squirt bottle works well.

The rifle in the snow had had that finish for 2 winters now and is holding up way better than expected with that craft paint applied by an airbrush.

I took the metal parts to the local airport and sand blasted it to see what that would do. Turned out to be unnecessary but it was fun.:D

I airbrushed the metal to match the local semi-snow/grass/sage brush background. The stock was airbrushed with a base lighter colored base coat. Then sprayed with a darker layer or maybe it was the other way around. I then used a small brush to do the russian olive branch affect.

Give it a go. There ain't much of a way to mess up an shot gun.;)

If it's a gun that's gonna be beat around a lot and I'm not gonna cry over it if it gets trashed, I use Krylon rattle can. Everything else gets Moly Resin.

I prep by disassembly and a bath in hot soapy water. Then a bath in acetone or brake cleaner. Heat the parts to 200 degrees to let any oil remaining in tight places to flow out and repeat wash process. Once it's completely degreased, I only handle it with nitrile gloves to prevent any oils from my hands getting on it.

Airbrush or rattle can in light passes and allow to dry completely before another coat or color.

Here's a shotgun I did this past summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts