Paint for rifles... what type, how goes it do?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by superlite17, May 11, 2007.

1. superlite17

superlite17 Well-Known Member

Hello all, I have long pondered painting weapons, but i have thought i could not paint black or blued weapons as they need oil and perhaps humidity could penetrate porous paint and cause pitting/rust. Well, i finally have my stainless savage 22-250 varmint gun after MANY valuable recomendations here. With it being stainless and having a composite stock I have wondered... Why not paint it the puke Olive drab I have always wanted?
    Have any of you done it? If so, how did it hold up? Is there a certain kind of paint I can order? I have air brush, air painters, etc and assume this type commercial epoxy would be the ticket.
    Any insight, advice, etc?

2. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

3. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

Duracoat works pretty well and doesen't take that much prep but if your wanting a realy top notch job then its best either bead or sand blast the parts so that the pant has a little more to "grab" onto.
    Duracoat also makes a new paint that has ceramic in it and is suppoesed to be alot tougher

Also Brownells Aluma-Hyde II is pretty good considering it comes out of a rattle can.

4. schmud0811

schmud0811 Member

ahhh......just use krylon if you don't like it itcomes off easy and it is super easy to touch up.