Firearm Insurance

Do you carry Firearm Insurance or rely upon your safe?

• Yes

Votes: 32 64.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Waste of money

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
Xsn10s, I'm with you - get rid of all those dust collectors and save yourself a tremendous amount of headaches!!!

So called "collections" are just another word for hoarders. Sorry to be so blunt and I probably hurt some feelings, but I feel it needs to be said in this discussion. A buddy's dad had over 300 guns that my buddy had to dispose of when his dad died. Many were rusted and worthless and hadn't been used or even handled in decades. WHY such a waste? Hoarding is a mental illness that costs the patient a lot of money just like drug addiction and alcoholism. All estate sales are a burden on the families and a huge financial loss. I call "collections" dust collectors, be they trinkets, pictures, guns, cars, etc. Instead of buying insurance, multiple safes, a storage room, worries, sleepless nights, etc, etc., sell what you're not using every year.
I'd have to say that's a bit judgemental. People get to spend their money on whatever they like. I've seen this ideaology being pushed right now. I don't subscribe to it. For me I've been thinning out my collection for decades. My time is limited so I want a certain level of quality over quantity. That's all.

I guess all the new firearms I have purchase should be dump too? My wifle has 6 creates that she has shoes in. I betting that the one on the botton she hasn't look at for years. The walk in closet of her's you can't walk into for over a year now.
so who's doing what?

I'd have to say that's a bit judgemental. People get to spend their money on whatever they like. I've seen this ideaology being pushed right now. I don't subscribe to it. For me I've been thinning out my collection for decades. My time is limited so I want a certain level of quality over quantity. That's all.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. If you scale back, you won't need any more insurance than your homeowners insurance or your savings account in the bank. Self insure the guns you own by investing the money so you can replace the guns if they need to be replaced. Invest that $150/mo insurance in a savings account/investment.

Last edited:
I guess all the new firearms I have purchase should be dump too? My wifle has 6 creates that she has shoes in. I betting that the one on the botton she hasn't look at for years. The walk in closet of her's you can't walk into for over a year now.
so who's doing what?
Exactly, my point. Get rid of the clutter and dust and live a less worrisome life.

People could say spending money on expensive vacations is a waste of money and possibly some form of mental illness. Why go on vacation? Some would say for the experience and it gives them joy. You could say the same for any collection. This is why I'm not going to ding someone over their purchases. If they are hurting themselves that's one thing. If not then it's really not for me to call them mentally ill.

so who's doing what?
Let me help you and everyone else to provide peace in your marriage. I will gladly accept any surplus firearm in any cartridge. I promise to buy another safe to store it safely.

Seriously, all of us who are married, we make compromises. Wife buys what she wants within a "budget" and I get to oaccasionally fill my safe, though now, I need another safe first. Have you seen those prices? Even the cheap Chinese are too expensive now.

I do a lot of trap and sporting clays shooting and you can tie a lot of money up real quick in one shotgun. Gun & Trophy Insurance is popular with a lot of the shotgunners. Is anyone using it?

And that is exactly why are you still married, and I imagine those who suggest getting rid of wife's items are probably divorced at least once.
Idea Volunteer GIF

Some recent threads got me wondering how many LRH members carry firearm insurance for full replacement?
Moddyboots: Your question(s), "Do you carry Firearm Insurance or rely upon your safe?" cannot be answered with a yes or no. You are asking two questions. As for me, No - re. firearms insurance and Yes - safes are for for theft prevention. Fires and floods have not happened to me in 83 years so think about how many $$$$ were saved (well, spent on other things).