Finally

hey

Just say big thank you to Kirby from Allen precision, Jim from Borden action, Mike from ABS barrel, Tom from Manners stock I have shot my personal best 3 shot group at 0.189 inch yesterday. Before that I have never thought I'm capable of shooting this kind group, or to make my rifle shoot that well. But with all the top components I got (Thanks everyone here) and best gunsmith I could find, plus with the numerous nights glued in front of computer reading the great articles from longrangehunting, and of course numerous orders from Sinclair, somehow I made it ;)

Here is some photo:
The group:
Picture-148.jpg

Load is 61 grain of N560, Bergers 168 gr 7mm match VLD, slight jammed into the land, remington 7mm SAUM brass. I didn't measure the speed due to low light, but I guess it's around 3000fps.

The rifle, 7mm SAUM:
Picture-7saum.jpg

Thanks
Yibai from NZ

WOW!
That would be a good 50 yard group for me. LOL...I bet that's a huge confidence builder. Looks like you got what you paid for.

Nice rig ya got by the way.

Nice shooting and glad she made it across the water in good shape!!!!

Keep us posted when you get her blooded!!! I suspect that will not be much of a problem!!!

Thanks guys. Eaglet, the main reason for going SAUM instead of WSM is better barrel life, it has longer neck than WSM, 0.311 VS 0.244, in theory this gives better barrel life specially around throat area. But I haven't been able to verify this. 2nd reason is the case capacity, Kirby helped us build the custom reamer in which we pushed the projectile(162 AMAX) slightly further out so that give us bit more case capacity. I can load around 63.0 gr of N560 into the Remington case with 168gr Bergers, which is more than enough for me. My main objective is get around 3000 fps using 162 gr AMAX or 168 Bergers, which I could achieve with around 59-61 grain of powder(N160 or N560, the length of barrel is 26 inches). I had encountered the pressure sign at 60 grain of N160 with 162Amax touching the land, but that could also due to the softness of Remington brass.
I'm still working on the load for AMAX, which is our preferred hunting projectile, I haven't tried Bergers on the animal but from my friends they think it's less satisfactory than Amax.

Hi Double Bypass, the ring is nightforce, and the base is Seekins custom rail base for Alpine action(20 MOA).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.