Finally getting there

muleyman

Well I'm finally getting some groups that I was hoping for out of my rifle. Load development started off a little slow in the accuracy department, but the other day I loaded up 4 rounds of 4 shells with the same load and went to the range again. The first group was a non-fouled bore and measured .675 (errrrrr, here we go again), the second was .464, the third was .340 and the fourth was .398. Again these were four shot groups at 100 yards and measured from edge to edge of the group. If I subtract bullet caliber I get a .056" group with the one at .340.

I sometimes think I spent dang near as much on bullets and powder tinkering with it as I did having the rifle put together. This was my first rifle build and honestly I was getting a little frustrated in my groups as this was probably one of the hardest to find what it liked. Most factory rifles I get to the 3/4" or slightly smaller and am o.k. with. All my groups with this rifle were always under 3/4" but knew both the rifle and I were up to doing better.

The rifle is a Rem. trued action, 26" stainless fluted Pacnor bar. in 280AI. My load is 59.5 grains of H4831sc and bullets are 162 Amax's set .010 off at about 2960fps. So now I'm going long to see what's she got at distance. Anyway thanks for listening..........

Sounds like your getting there, keep us posted on how it shoots at further distances.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts