Getting better

Clem Bronkoski

I had 9 different loads for the rifle today for the model 70. Took a long time waiting to cool between groups. Bullets were 140 gr Nosler BTs and Barnes TSX. Powders were IMR7828, IMR4350 and Magpro. After sanding the barrel channel down to get the barrel free floating my groups did tighten up but not by much. Most groups were running about 1.25"-1.5", one load was too hot as the bolt was "sticky" and the primers flattened. But one load was right about 1" (60 gr of IMR4350) first 2 shots touching. Next time out whenever that will be I will be playing with OAL using that load and also trying some 130 gr Noslers.

I had 9 different loads for the rifle today for the model 70. Took a long time waiting to cool between groups. Bullets were 140 gr Nosler BTs and Barnes TSX. Powders were IMR7828, IMR4350 and Magpro. After sanding the barrel channel down to get the barrel free floating my groups did tighten up but not by much. Most groups were running about 1.25"-1.5", one load was too hot as the bolt was "sticky" and the primers flattened. But one load was right about 1" (60 gr of IMR4350) first 2 shots touching. Next time out whenever that will be I will be playing with OAL using that load and also trying some 130 gr Noslers.

What cartridge are you shooting?

270 WSM. I had a 270 win in a Rem 700 that shot 130 gr Nosler BTs very accurately. This rifle has the same 1:10 twist rate so I'm going to try them next. I choose the 140s initially because of the better BC.

Last edited:
Nice, love the ballistics of the 270's. You should be able to get down to 0.5" groups, we did on a friend's Weatherby 270 WSW with the 140gr Accubond using IMR-4350.

I like to do the load testing in the fall or spring, in the summertime here it's impossible, just to darn hot and the barrels don't cool down.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.