Finally progress

elktaker

After waiting a few more weeks than expected, I got my JEC brake (Home) a few weeks ago. I found myself in the muzzleloader general bull hunt in Utah so just now got to shooting it.

I was having issues with muzzle jump on my atlas bipod and figured worth trying one of these brakes.

Rifle: Savage action, 28 pacnor barrel, JEC brake, XLR Element Chassis, Mightforce MOA rifle edition, and atlas with talon style feet.

Load: 168 Bergers in 7mm WSM sitting on 65.9gr of MAG PRO. This is seat to max coal of 3.1" which puts me to almost touching lands and still barely would fit in mag.

A trip to the range in the AM and it was closed so I returned later in the evening to find new large steel targets installed at 200ish, 325, 425 and two more I have not range yet (400 to 500 is best my range finder will do).

I started with a quick sloppy check of my zero +1.5" at 100 yards. With wind gusting from 9 o'clock from 5 to +20 MPH, I decide to take a 4 shot group at 325 yards.

1st photo: I just adjusted to 2 MOA elevation and shot 4 with 2 dry fires in between each shot. First shot is on right there was a gust of wind being a little over 15 MPH (estimated) then it settled down for the next three pretty close together. 4 shot group measured: 1.932". A little over .5 MOA is enough for me.

2nd photo: I decided to go a head and shoot at 425 yards. I dialed to 4.25 MOA. Group measured 3.782". I pushed the second shot high with my shoulder (called it) so less than 1 MOA for the total group makes me happy.

Gun being 13 LB with bipod and scope and new brake recoils like a 243 now. And after the groups, I was shooting a few jugs at 425 and one of my ears fell out and the brake was not too bad for the shooter. I actually shoot twice before I realized it fell out of my right ear. I am very please with the brake but was told it was going to be shipped in a week and did not receive it until 2 month later.

Attachments

• 325 yards.jpg
    325 yards.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 425 yards.jpg
    425 yards.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 97
Quarter is for scale.

Groups shoot prone off dirt with rear bag.

Calculation with the low pressure we have been experiencing shows the Bullet at 2933 FPS. So barrel life should be good for a 7mm WSM.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.