Finally killed a stupid Turkey

Tikkamike

After having several tags and never being able to get a shot at a good tom I was finally able to make it happen last weekend. I tried calling for a bit using my fox pro and had a jake come in but nothing exciting. Then I saw a couple jakes from the pickup. Finally I decided to call it a day when my buddy spots a small group of birds on a far hill. I got out with my binos and saw one had a decent enough bird and grabbed my 22-250. they were starting to get nervous and right as I was getting ready they took off running away. I had to guess on yardage and guessed for 300. Put the cross hair on the base of the neck where it meets the body and let it go. the bird face planted and never moved a muscle. It wasnt the most exciting hunt..actually it wasnt exciting at all but I did finally get a tom so I can put the fan and beard on a plaque. the 52 gr Berger pretty much exploded on contact and made a nice big hole on the entrance side which was lethal. The turkey has an 8" beard. nothing too great but good enough for me.

nice bird but as you might or might not know if you ever tried to call one with in bow range you would not say they were stupid they make me look stupid every year lol.

I have shot many turkeys with a bow and never met a stupid one yet!! Good Killin Mike. That bird will eat well. I noticed that your in short sleeves. It's 19 degrees here with a gusty 15 mph wind. We had one day of 75 last week. Now that summer is over we can get to hunting season again!! Lol...

Nice!

I read the thread title and laughed - I can relate. I go out every year (shotgun only here) and have never got one. I could wallpaper the den with unfilled tags.

I'm awesome at calling them to about 100 yards. One day I hope to start a thread with the exact same title (because I feel the same way!)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.