Finally going to make an effort

AKBman

I have been hunting and shooting for about 45 years now, I have decided that I want a rifle that I have the confidence to make a cold bore shot the first time at least 75% of the time, preferably 90% of the time at 1K. I have a NIB Remington Sendero SFII chambered in 300 Winchester Magnum, I picked this up because it was a rifle I had wanted for a long time. I plan on installing an aftermarket trigger, and to start by bedding the recoil lug. Right now I am trying to narrow down a scope that will get me to at least 1760, as that is the dream before I kick it. Have been looking at the Bushnell Elite Tactical XRS II Rifle Scope 34mm Tube 4.5-30x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 Mil Adjustments First Focal Plane. I have a wide selection of bullets, mostly 200gr Accubonds, and a reasonable supply of Norma cases. Sadly I was caught off guard by the buying frenzy, and while I am good for primers, I only have a few pounds of powder, mostly MagPro. I have been reading this forum for a lot of years, have played around out to 600 yards with the 300 and my 375 Ruger, looking forward to giving this longer range shooting an honest effort.

The XRS II and DMR II are good scopes. Comparatively, they are heavier than some of the competition, but mechanically and optically they are solid. Sounds like you are on the right track to me.

Accubonds and MagPro will probably get you started, but keep an eye out for H1000 powder and Berger 215gr hybrid bullets. That is a magic combination in a LOT of guns.

The XRS II and DMR II are good scopes. Comparatively, they are heavier than some of the competition, but mechanically and optically they are solid. Sounds like you are on the right track to me.

Accubonds and MagPro will probably get you started, but keep an eye out for H1000 powder and Berger 215gr hybrid bullets. That is a magic combination in a LOT of guns.
I alao have about 400 210gr Long Range Accubonds, 3/4 of a box of 190gr Bergers, 2 or 300 208 AMax, but I will certainly keep an eye out for the 215gr Bergers.

If you want to reach out to 1000 yards and beyond I'd start with those Berger 190s.or 208 AMax.
I use the 200 gr Accubond for hunting but the shape of the bullet causes a little lower Ballistic Coefficient.

I couldn't find any Berger bullets, but LGS had a box of 212gr ELD-X bullets on the shelf, grabbed them just to see how they shoot.

I have been finding some 338 pills some I definitely want to try in my Edge. Then found some 225s that I thought about as well unfortunately, they could be gone. Oops

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.