Finally took the plunge!

BOBinWA

So I finally decided to go with a Savage LRH in 6.5 Creedmoor. Thanks to all who've posted here. Your question and answers have been a huge help.

Anyway I was able to pick one up at a local gun store. I had plan dress it out as follows, but would appreciate your thoughts:

Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50? Others?
Rings and 20moa rail not sure which?
Harris bipod

Anything else I've missed?

Thanks
Bob

So I finally decided to go with a Savage LRH in 6.5 Creedmoor. Thanks to all who've posted here. Your question and answers have been a huge help.

Anyway I was able to pick one up at a local gun store. I had plan dress it out as follows, but would appreciate your thoughts:

Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50? Others?
Rings and 20moa rail not sure which?
Harris bipod

Anything else I've missed?

Thanks
Bob
Sightron, 3500+ Bushnells, Weaver, SWFA.

EGW rail.

I use the Vortex 6 screw tactical and I buy them in singles. $19.99 a piece. As a set is $60. As singles is $40.

There are better rings out there but I have used them a lot on stuff I don't wanna dump a set of NFs on.

Sightron SIII
EGW 20 MOA rail
TipTop notched leg bipod (more features, stronger, more stable, less money)

Get good scope rings.

Recently got 3 sets of Burris Signature Zee rings. One rifle is setup with 40MOA on the rings and 20MOA rail for a total of ~60MOA. 700 yard zero and dials up to 2080 yards at ~75MOA.

Last month we had one of the shooters hit at 2080 yards with a 6.5CM so you might want them.;)

Thanks for the replays guys. I appreciate it.

I've read good things about Sightron. The SIII is about the same price as the Nightforce SHV, is it better than the NF?

You both mention EGW rail but not their rings, is it best to look elsewhere for the rings?

Thanks for the heads up on the TIp Top bipod. I'll look closer at them.

Thanks again
Bob

Thanks for the replays guys. I appreciate it.

I've read good things about Sightron. The SIII is about the same price as the Nightforce SHV, is it better than the NF?

You both mention EGW rail but not their rings, is it best to look elsewhere for the rings?

Thanks for the heads up on the TIp Top bipod. I'll look closer at them.

Thanks again
Bob

At the end of the day it's what fits in your budget. Will a Sightron, EGW, Burris & Harris setup work well for you? I imagine it will. I tend to hold out for the best equipment I can possible get, even if it means waiting a bit to increase said budget. I learned a long time ago that buying equipment twice because the "budget" brand I purchased let me down gets rather expensive.

I'll take the SHV all day every day, but that's just me. Every duck has his own waddle so to speak. I'm not a fan of the EGW equipment either, again, preference. I have had tremendous luck with the Burris rings, both Signature & XTR. If budget is no object, the best rings I've ever used are made by ARC. For a good base, I usually run a Murphy Precision or a NightForce, that's it.

Being somewhat of a bipod snob, I grab the Atlas over my Harris whenever possible. Then again, at twice the price it had better be a better bipod. :cool:

Just my .002.

t

The only thing I would opt NOT to do is a Vortex scope. Been there done that and will not go do again. Also, I prefer rails and rings such as those mentioned by the other post.

Thanks again for all the input guys. A lot of experience and good info on this board.

I've decided to go with the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 for a scope.

The current plan is pick up a set of Burris Signature Zee rings and probably a EGW a 20 MOA rail to mount it.

Looks great other than the Vortex scope. I tried a 6x24x50 Viper PST. Absolutely the worst scope I ever bought. Then I could not sell the **** thing. Really took a beating on it.
Good luck, Kirk

Looks great other than the Vortex scope. I tried a 6x24x50 Viper PST. Absolutely the worst scope I ever bought. Then I could not sell the **** thing. Really took a beating on it.
Good luck, Kirk
Catahoula- just for personal knowledge, what is the complaint(s) about the Vortex PST line of scopes? On the web, I tend to see 50/50 in likes and dislikes. Talking with others at the local Sportsmans warehouse, I tend to see a lot of likes. I'm really curious, as to the downfalls of this scope, if you or others don't mind sharing the pit fall experiences.

Happy New Year, BTW!! To all!

Bob- didn't mean to hijack your tread. Just thought since you were in plans of putting together a shooter, my inquiry could assist all in reading this

+1 on the vortex junk.
Viper PST 6-24 was the biggest *** I've ever owned, I gave it to a friend that had a tasco 4-12, I'm still not sure if I did him a favor.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.