Federal's new Long Range loads--Long range trophy bondeds

I thought this thread was on the federal tlr ammo and bullets, not the Sierra gamechanger bullets--- the tlr are a copper shank, but bonded lead core nose design to help expansion at like speeds and retain weight at high speeds---- the gamechanger bullets are a "tipped match king/game king cup core bullet" ..

I have been trying to find anyone who's shot the tlr ammo and I've not yet heard of anyone--- there is only the 30-06 factory loaded ammo in stock on midway but the bullets are either out of stock or commin g soon

I contacted Federal about delivery to market and other caliber offerings. I received the standard response of not knowing when a product will be widely available and they are considering other calibers.

I thought this thread was on the federal tlr ammo and bullets, not the Sierra gamechanger bullets--- the tlr are a copper shank, but bonded lead core nose design to help expansion at like speeds and retain weight at high speeds---- the gamechanger bullets are a "tipped match king/game king cup core bullet" ..

I have been trying to find anyone who's shot the tlr ammo and I've not yet heard of anyone--- there is only the 30-06 factory loaded ammo in stock on midway but the bullets are either out of stock or commin g soon

I guess what threw me off was the mention it was manf by Sierra. My bad as now seeing them they are clearly very different bullets.

What made me think it was the game changer and possibly they made changes was the idea they were both Sierra bullets and they both used the new polymer tips. The TBBC was Speer and what Fed now makes inhouse IIRC. So its a Federal bullet and based off the tipped bonded bear claw which was a redesign from the standard TBBC that added a tip and solid copper bottom half with boattail

"Unlike other so-called long-range projectiles that can fail to perform at lower velocities, the Federal Premium Edge TLR uses an exclusive Slipstream polymer tip to trigger expansion at long range. On closer targets, the copper shank and bonded lead core retain weight for consistent, lethal penetration."

The tipped part confused me. I was having a serious brain fart confusing the two. Sorry to add to the confusion.

The issue with Federal who used other bullet manf for their loadings but also their own in-house bullets which are not sold as components for quite some time if ever sometimes. After doing some more digging I think I have the entire story.

I gave a friend a call that is an editor for the NRA mag publications. He gave me the info he knew about it. He also as the editor has info on articles written for most the major gun rags and big online sites. He pointed me to an article run on this bullet by Rifle Shooter Magazine which is also online here Which is about the original Polymer Tipped, Bonded Lead Core, Solid Copper Base Channeled Boat Tail which is know as the Trophy Bonded Tip (TBT).

He also gave me a link to an article that was run in one of the publications he oversees American Hunter on the TLR Edge bullet and ammo here

He stated the bullet in the TLR ammo is a LR version of that bullet with same design construction as the TBT. It just has a sleek higher BC design and possibly a modified hollow point to make intital expansion easier. His analogy was
"The Trophy Bonded Tipped (TBT) bullet is to the Accubond as the Trophy Bonded Tipped Long Range (TBTLR) is to the AccubondLR." That makes perfect sense to me. In terms of the bullet construction he said they are like a TSX/TTSX bottom half meets a AB/ABLR top half bullet. A partition bullet but with the channels of the barnes TSX reducing bearing surface.

He stated, as was mentioned in this thread already, that both bullet designs, the TBT and TBTLR know as the Edge TLR, are available as bullet components. Going directly to Federal's Online Shop Bullet Section ........HERE

As for the BC I think Federal has access to Doppler Radar now as does Hornady. IIRC it was when HRDY started using Doppler they found the weird BC anomalies with poly tipped bullets which lead to them redesigning their tipped with a new polymer that would not heat deform during flight. I seem to recall reading a tech paper by them on it. It seems now all the manf of poly tip bullets are using new tips. Based on them using Doppler I would think their BC should be quite accurate but there will also be some difference from vel twist rates atmosphere even when normalized for standard base conditions.

I got to say at least on paper the combo or partition design combining a TSX bottom with AB top sounds ideal from terminal performance end. When you consider what a great rep the partition bullets have for terminal perf there only real lacking was low BC. If this bullet can give use both plus the decreased bearing surface using the barnes TSX channels at least on paper sure does sound like a perfect combo especially if the BC hold close. With expansion down to 1375 FPS, for the 155gr 7mm, that is EXCELLENT. With the solid core even if the front half frag'd at close range high vel you still have a solid core that would tumble thru equal to I guess about half the bullet weight as its solid copper.

My Only concern with that design would be accuracy. I'm not saying it isnt accurate, but it has a lot going on. If it is, and b c holds up, it may be the closest thing to the all around bullet yet. We'll see?

My Only concern with that design would be accuracy. I'm not saying it isnt accurate, but it has a lot going on. If it is, and b c holds up, it may be the closest thing to the all around bullet yet. We'll see?

I agree with this--I'm hoping we see some components available soon. I'd love to launch that 155 out of my 7mm around 3100-3200fps and not have to worry about bone. The 162 ELD-X shoot well out of my gun, but they've been too unpredictable on game. I'm trying the 168 ABLR this season.

If those 155 are out before my 7SS gets together I will send a box to you Rich if you don't have some for testing at that point. If they can hit 3300 in a 26" SS that makes a very nice bullet for medium+ game to 1K. Especially if initial expansion really is in the mid 1300 fps

I get 3152 out of my 270 SS with a 21" barrel with a 150. I've shot it faster, but that's what I settled on for hunting. 3300 would be pushing it, but likely doable in the 7.

Any new news on the Edge TLR? I saw that midway has some 30 cal options available. I'm waiting on the 7mm bullets to try in my 28 nosler

I'm waiting for the component bullets as well; thinking about trying the factory ammo while waiting for the component ones.

Finally got some 7mm 155 gr in! Ordered from midway, they were out of stock within 5 hours of my notification email. I called federal and he said they should be more readily available by late May/early June.

I sectioned this bullet (it should be noted that I didn't quite make it to half way through the bullet) and so far I'm loving the looks! Big hollow point in the tip as advertised but also a hollow pocket between the tip and the lead. My arm got tired from using a file. This weekend I will file down to the middle of the bullet and polish out the file marks so I can get some better pictures.

I'm thinking these bullets will expand as good if not better than advertised! And I'm sure they will penetrate through bone and at high velocity, with the back half being solid copper... I don't think they have a choice! Very excited to try on game.

I settled on a load with 180gr eldm's in my 28 nosler for spring black bear, but this summer I will work up a load and hopefully take an elk, deer and, if I draw a tag, an antalope with the edge TLR

Attachments

• 20190510_102046.jpg
    20190510_102046.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 236
thanks for taking the time to section that bullet--I got mine in yesterday as well. I love that they included load data in the boxes. Of course it's all Alliant Powder, but I'm going to hunt for some RL23 or 26 and give it a go. These bullets definitely *LOOK* sleek, but the only thing that counts is if they shoot.

Agreed. Can't wait to start load developmemt. I also weighed about twenty of the bullets, had as light as 154.2gr and as heavy as 155.2 gr. Not terrible compared to match bullets but far better than other hunting bullets I've weighed

Agreed. Can't wait to start load developmemt. I also weighed about twenty of the bullets, had as light as 154.2gr and as heavy as 155.2 gr. Not terrible compared to match bullets but far better than other hunting bullets I've weighed
Should also be noted that I have a cheap digital scale that's been known to be a bit off.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.