Federal's new Long Range loads--Long range trophy bondeds

the444shooter

Looks like Federal's coming out w/ new long range loads developed (seemingly) around the trophy-bonded line. No pics yet, but there were some blogs referring to them.

From Federal Premium to Introduce New Ammunition at SHOT Show - Soldier Systems Daily :
"Unlike other so-called long-range projectiles that can fail to perform at lower velocities, the Federal Premium Edge TLR uses an exclusive Slipstream polymer tip to trigger expansion at long range. On closer targets, the copper shank and bonded lead core retain weight for consistent, lethal penetration. Ballistics are likewise flawless. Credit the Edge TLR bullet's sleek boat-tail design, secant ogive and unique AccuChannel grooving, which trim drag to an absolute minimum. Available in 308 Win., 30-06 Spring., 300 Win. Magnum and 300 Win. Short Magnum."

For all intents and purposes, my speculation is that it's a redesigned Trophy-bonded Tip bullet with a different ogive? I know they were pimping their TBT bullets as being more heat resistant than Hornady's new ELD-X heat shield tip, so they probably just re-purposed them in the new role that Hornady made mainstream. But we also know that their BC data (as available) is woefully incomplete. Hopefully they'll put some more work into validating that data.

They're also loading some Berger bullets in .223, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5Creedmoor, and the 185 juggernaut in .308 win.

But we can't buy the bullets so I don't care,

+1 haha who buys factory ammo? But on a serious note, I always have heard and thought that any grooves on the outside of a bullet actually lowered the BC? Seems odd they are touting this "AccuChannel" if an external groove in a bullet actually makes it less aerodynamic.

I've unfortunately been stuck with factory loads and distances under 200yds for the longest time, so I still get excited about some factory loads. It's also cool to me that the big manufacturers are trying to innovate in ways that help us.

Just stumbled across this on Federals website and then google searched this thread.

There are a few more details on their site. But their .625 BC for the 200gr bullet in the 300 WSM seems a bit too good to be true. Hornady lists the 200 ELDX at .597 and the berger hybrid 200gr is .640. It may be nice if that BC is true. Not that I shoot factory, but for those who do...

I shoot factory ammo to 850. longest i have here. In several guns.
7-08, 25-06 (to 500), 7 mag.
shooting sub half MOA to 850 is not bad.
reloading is fun. just no time yet.

As to Federal's new ammo and bullets? skeptical of the BC values. but would try their berger loads if they arent too far off in published speeds. Usually they are the worst (after nosler).

SnT

I shoot factory ammo to 850. longest i have here. In several guns.
7-08, 25-06 (to 500), 7 mag.
shooting sub half MOA to 850 is not bad.
reloading is fun. just no time yet.

As to Federal's new ammo and bullets? skeptical of the BC values. but would try their berger loads if they arent too far off in published speeds. Usually they are the worst (after nosler).

SnT

I chrono'd the 185 .308 Juggernaut out of my 26" 1:12 .308 right at 2615avg, so pretty close, at least out of my rifle.

Federal is now offering loaded ammo with BERGER bullets! Wow, that's a huge deal for Berger!

Federal Premium Ammunition - Rifle

For those that do not reload, this is a really big deal. They will finally be able to combine the legendary performance of the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo with the LR ballistics and high BC of Berger bullets.

Personally, I'll still roll my own, but I might get some in 6.5 Grendel and .308 Win just to test out and see how they do in my rifles.

It's only $3-4 a box more than the Hornady 123 Amax ammo I shoot in my Grendel...I would be willing to pay that extra $3-$4 to be shooting the Berger 130 AR Hybrid bullets. Federal brass is kind of crappy, but it might to OK in the low pressures of the non-magnum cartridges, my only bad experiences with Federal brass was in magnum cartridges.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...-grain-berger-hybrid-open-tip-match-box-of-20

Not sure how I missed this post but it appears The TB and the Edge TLR are both out on the market for reloaders. Would love to hear of performance as I really like the idea of a lead cored copper base bullet. They are adverting good BC's as well.

[QUOTE=

After Nosler... true. 150 to 200 fps difference in non magnum loads from 24" barrels. Crazy! Doubletap ammo is also pretty bad.
SnT

Not sure how I missed this post but it appears The TB and the Edge TLR are both out on the market for reloaders. Would love to hear of performance as I really like the idea of a lead cored copper base bullet. They are adverting good BC's as well.
Where did you see them on the market?
They have been on midways site for months listed as " coming soon" Midway eve n put them on sale for a month- without ever having any

Edited: Disregard the below post. I was having a serious lapse in brain function and got things confused. They are totally different bullets from different manf.

Unless I am missing something the 2017 posts in this thread are talking about the fairly recently released Sierra Game Changer Bullets. There is a thread about them already. They are Sierras answer to he Hrdt ELD line of bullets. The polymer tips are a newer poly that does not deform in flight effecting BC. They had form and alloy changes to increase BC and reliable expansion etc on game. The bullets are in hand and being shot.

In terms of loaded ammo I have nothing as I have no interest in factory loaded ammo.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.