Federal gold metal match in 308

I've just recently been using FGMM in .308 to get more practice and less reloading in. The rifle I have likes the 168 gr SMK load the best.

I've done a few measurements and have noticed that the weight of the loaded cartridge seems very close to one another. Weighing 100 loaded rounds I see about a 2 grain spread with a couple groups of 20 cartridges within 0.2 gr spread. Also the runout is quite small - less than 0.003".

After I get through a couple hundred I'm going to clean them up in the stainless steel tumbler and weight sort the 1x fired cases.

I've just recently been using FGMM in .308 to get more practice and less reloading in. The rifle I have likes the 168 gr SMK load the best.

I've done a few measurements and have noticed that the weight of the loaded cartridge seems very close to one another. Weighing 100 loaded rounds I see about a 2 grain spread with a couple groups of 20 cartridges within 0.2 gr spread. Also the runout is quite small - less than 0.003".

After I get through a couple hundred I'm going to clean them up in the stainless steel tumbler and weight sort the 1x fired cases.

Ok what is the twist in your barrel?

Nodes and anti nodes.
The ammo company has figured out a load that will work with several barrels. It may not be the best load but it works across a broad range of rifles.
Ever wonder why you can do meticulous brass and loading prep and get superb accuracy in a rifle? And then try it in another rifle and it's worthless?
Somewhere in that load work up will be a load combo that works in two or more rifles, just a matter of finding the universal node.

Quality components, quality assembly, tight tolerances and literally millions of dollars poured into R&D and millions of rounds produced.

Same thing that made Soviet 7N1 spam can ammo work so well as spec sniper ammo to be used in otherwise mass produced and very crude Mosin Nagant 91/30's. Quality components, assembly and a ton of research across oodles of actual guns to see what produced the most statistically consistent results.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts