Federal 308 Gold Medal Match Powder?

Nimrodmar10

Anybody know what type powder Federal uses in the 308 Winchester 168 gr. Gold Medal Match shells? It measures out to 43.4 grains. It is extruded powder. The grains are cut very short and are .030" diameter. They are dark black and shiny. It doesn't match any powder that I have on hand. I'm trying to duplicate the load. This ammo shoots very well in my Rem. 700 Tactical. Any info would be appreciated.

As far as I know it's a proprietary powder, meaning it's not commercially available for purchase.

There are several recipes that duplicate it fairly close. I couldn't tell you what it/they are though. Maybe someone here can post a close imitation.

Sounds like H4895, which can be used to duplicate that load as can Imr4895, 4064, Varget, RE15 WC748, cfe 223, BLC-2, N140, AA2520, and a few others.

I'm not too worried about duplicating it. I want to copy it. So far I can't touch it with my reloads for accuracy. I'd also be surprised to find out Federal would have a custom proprietary for this cartridge with so many great powders available. I can buy them for less than $23 a box. I may just forget about reloading for this rifle if they work on deer out to about 500 yards I'm still hoping someone knows what kind of powder it is though.

If you can't take your federal brass, with 168smks at the length they are using and use Varget and fed 210m primers and get the same accuracy or better, its gotta be you, no offense meant, but making a 308 shoot is very easy 9 outta 10 times. I don't think they have their own powder either, most all ammo makers use powders from Olin ( IMR, Hodgdons, Win ) except weatherby and norma which use norma and some lapua uses VV.

Sierra used to state that the load that duplicates 168 Fed Match is 42g. of Reloader 15, Federal Brass (match), Federal Match primer. 2600fps. OAL 2.8"

I have had great luck with all the powders listed, all shoot better than the standard match load in my rifle. Imr 4350 and RL 15 are very good with Fed brass, Fed210 primers and 168 SMK's.

My loads shoot just as accurately from my rifle as does GMM. I am loading 168SMK, 42 gr. IMR 4895, Fed cases and WLR primers.

So manufacturers aren't known to "blend" their powders? News to me but I'm no chemist and I don't work at their plant so I really can't say for sure either way. Maybe a politely worded email to them will result in a reply containing what off-the-shelf powder they use. Or if they do blend from different commercial powders to create a blend that'll meet their specs and properties maybe a non disclosure agreement and a waiver will get them to cough up the ratios so I can play chemist with the information.

You aren't the first to have FGMM 308 shoot best in their gun and won't be the last.
This question comes up a dozen times a month on the gun boards and has never been
answered. It's the holy grail of the shooting community so to speak. Just pick good match
bullets and work from there. The 155.5 bergers and the 155 lapua scenars should work
better at long ranges for you.

Id like to see a pic of the powder, your desrciotion isn't gonna cut it, by what you said I'm down to 3 possibilities, 748, H335, and RE15. It is not safe to blend powders period, unless your trained to do so with the proper equipment. I'm betting its 748 because even if it is match ammo federal is still going to make it as cheap as they can, your paying 23$, its costing them less than 2$.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.