Favorite 22lr Bulk Ammo?

I have recently bought some of the Aguila super extra hp 38 grain just haven't had the time to test them.

Have bought several 22lr rifles lately am collecting as many brands and types of ammunition to do a thorough test of all the ammunition in all the different rifles.

So everyone post all that have worked well for you and I will try to add to my list the ones I don't have.

Thanks

In my CZ 457 American I bought for hunting the sub sonic ammo at about 1,050 fps seems to hold tighter groups. The Federal Automatch has been pretty accurate but the Aquila Super Extra 38gr @ 1,280 fps not so much in that gun. Since CCI comes in a plastic box that individually holds each round separately I don't consider it packaged in bulk, but the CCI Standard Velocity @ 1,070 has been good and the CCI Sub Sonic hollow point @ 1,050 worked for me last weekend on 4 ground squirrels with one shot kills at 10, 25, 38 and 56 yards.

Last edited:
I used Blazer for plinking for many years. My Ruger pistol liked it as well as anything I tried.

I ran a 5 round test with some expensive 22LR ammo for the CZ rifle at 50 yards. This was in the back yard on a table. Not the most steady shooting position off a tripod.
IMG_1104.jpeg

Here is SK Plus, Automatch, Federal Champion and Winchester Xpert. The Xpert is excellent small game round, the big hollow point, 36 grain lead bullet at 1280 fps really smacks gophers, but not as accurate as the other stuff.

Anschutz 1710 Rifle. 50 yards with really gusty wind. I did not change holds for the wind but did try to shoot when it wasn't gusting as hard. Was not entirely successful. The SK+ is almost as tight shooting as Eley 10x out of this gun and cost 8 bucks a box versus 28 for the Tennex.

(Note how the groups often opened then tightened when I switched from one ammo to the other, you can tell switch overs by the group number).
1712681556407.jpeg

1712681601296.jpeg

Last edited:
Ahh the rimfire accuracy rabbit hole…. My $.02 is that it's not worth spending big money on .22 ammo for inside 100 yds and unless your competing it's probably not at all. Consistency in velocity is the main factor and that's why something like Tenex or Midas will shoot good groups. This gets magnified greatly after 100yds with a .22. SK, CCI, and Lapua have slightly thicker rims and may shoot better than Eley depending on the headspace of the gun. Lapua used to make Wolf but now Eley does. Also batch to batch they vary. And experts will say that when you switch ammo it takes around 50 rounds to settle in due to different lubes on the bullets. It's too much for me! For punching paper off a bench I've had numerous 9 shots in a ragged 1/2" hole at 50 yds and have one flier using CCI SV. I'm happy to blame it on the ammo. 😉

I have five kids, so my approach is a little different now. I buy in 2k to 5k lots of ammo. I have enough Ruger 10/22's and bolt 22's that one will usually like the ammo. If not, I burn it up in the pistols. I have had good luck recently with some 40 gr Winchester, Remington Golden bullet, American Eagle 38 grain and Cascade standard velocity 38 gr. I get better luck with Augila match or other match rounds. It is interesting to see how one gun likes one bullet and another won't shoot it at all.

I buy all bulk packs I find on sale at a good price, except Remmington as I have had an excessive number of duds the last two times I decided to pick it up. Then I dump it into separate 50cal ammo cans of copper plated, lead, poly coated. I don't shoot my 22s like I used to, so it gets used by friends' kids and though some pistols now and then.
But if I'm shooting for groups, the Ruger precision 22 I have shoots standard CCI and CCI velociters very well. I have not tried many of the "expensive" 22 brands though it but the one or two I did years ago when I bought it, did not do well enough to warrant me buying them again.

On a side note about the Remington ammo, I have a savage 17hmr that shoots the Remington 17hmr better than any other brand....Its infuriating as I bought a large lot of CCI and Hornady 17hmr at one point because I had a marlin 17hmr that would shoot both out to 150y with impressive groups. It got stolen and replaced with the savage which loves the ammo I don't have a lot of.

Right now I am still going through the testing phase for good to great ammo.
I am getting my rifle tested at Lapua supposedly this coming fall as its a 10+ month back up. I signed up 4 months ago for an in-person session. They just said we'll get back to you when it gets closer. Lol. But figure that will be around October.
But till them I will be trying new lots of ammo from anything I can find to play with. But so far my acceptable ammo for plinking is ELEY TENNEX AND LAPUA CENTER X. But testing continues. Actually heading out now for practice

I'm wondering what everyone here uses as their standard range bulk ammo. As of recently I've been dealing with Federal AutoMatch (the ones that come in 325 round boxes) and Aguila Super Extra (500 rounds). I give the slightest edge to Aguila but federal is great for my Mark IV in an indoor range.

What are you all using as your bulk 22lr range ammo?
I use bulk Federal blue box in 40 grain round nose. (Made repeated shots in the pouring rain yesterday to 200 yards with it & 40 grain RN Golden Bullets)
I use bulk Federal CB Quiet in 40 grain RN for up-close stuff around the house. Bigger bores & shotguns get 70-80% of my attention but .22's are a nice change & I shoot a bunch of that.