What 22LR is you favorite past 100yds?

I just got really interested in .22LR long range shooting. Have the CZ452 (borrowed it back from my youngest son) and it seems to be more accurate than I can shoot at 100 yds using range bag for a forearm rest and no butt bag. What is your preference on bipods- the one on the rifle in the pics?

My biggest problem is the time it takes to get to a 500 yard range. Almost everyone shooting them long range seems to think they are perfect for practice even if your goal is large caliber, 2000 yard events. My question is what is good practice on a 100 yard range? I am in my mid-70s wearing trifocals so mostly I use a scope with rifles (lens implants focus on the front sight of handgun with arms extended in kind of a Weaver stance).

I have a 10/22 stainless and am in the process of determining how accurate it is. Same goes for a Marlin. The thought process being followed is that on the shorter ranges a less accurate gun will demand more out of me. Guess I could dial down the magnification on the CZ but not sure it would accomplish the same end?

Thoughts? Anyone?

John

I just got really interested in .22LR long range shooting. Have the CZ452 (borrowed it back from my youngest son) and it seems to be more accurate than I can shoot at 100 yds using range bag for a forearm rest and no butt bag. What is your preference on bipods- the one on the rifle in the pics?

My biggest problem is the time it takes to get to a 500 yard range. Almost everyone shooting them long range seems to think they are perfect for practice even if your goal is large caliber, 2000 yard events. My question is what is good practice on a 100 yard range? I am in my mid-70s wearing trifocals so mostly I use a scope with rifles (lens implants focus on the front sight of handgun with arms extended in kind of a Weaver stance).

I have a 10/22 stainless and am in the process of determining how accurate it is. Same goes for a Marlin. The thought process being followed is that on the shorter ranges a less accurate gun will demand more out of me. Guess I could dial down the magnification on the CZ but not sure it would accomplish the same end?

Thoughts? Anyone?

John

I'll assume your shooting off a bench at 100 yards. A bipod is not the best way to shoot off a bench. You'd be better off shooting off good sand bags. I use a front rest similar to what benchrest shooters prefer. The top plate is pretty simple, in that it's a flat plate with slots cut in it. I use sliding jaws made from aluminum angle (I actually have three or four top plates). Use a Sinclair bag made for their windage plate with a forward stop. One of the plates has a deal made up to allow the jaws to rotate inwards as well as adjust sideways, Another uses a standard Protector (brand) Bag made for the front rest. I honest think the top plate is far more important than the lower part, as all it needs to do is elevate and lock down solid. I could write a book on my missadventures in front rests alone<g>! Your also going to need a rear bag of somekind (I use the Protector again), and a bottle of talcom powder.

I can't remember what the forend looks like on a CZ 452, but seems like it's similar to a Remington 541S. That being the case you might also want to add a flat aluminum plate to the bottom of the forend. Make it about 1/4" wider all the way around. This will make a world of difference.

Ammo is the major issue with all 22 rimfires. Your at the mercy of the manufacturer. Just because it shoots very well at 50 yards dosn't mean it will at 100 yards. Expect a lot of drop between the two distances. My goto round for one of my 541's has an 8" drop at 100 yards. It also seems like no two rifles will shoot the same stuff well, and rimfie ammo seems to vary greatly by the lot number. Plan on doing a good bit of experimentation with ammo alone.

gary

I'll take my Belgium Browning T-Bolt at any yardage.It has made a many a enemy with the custom Ruger and Buckmark boys.It shoots less than a dime with the worst ammo and one hole with the good stuff.The Pentax helps me do my part............

Have a BSA Martini model 12 Target rifle in 22 LR. This model BSA rifle was produced between around 1908 to late 1930s. Have no idea what year mine was made. Has a rear micrometer peep sight. Darn nice trigger in the rifle. It was in pretty sad shape when I got it, but was able to restore it to shootable condition. Of the 22 rifles I own, feel more comfortable shooting it over 100 yards and most of my other 22s are scoped.

Recently a fellow shooter at range was shooting at a 200 yd paper plate with his very nice bolt 22 rifle with a darn nice scope on it that he has tricked out for 200 yd shooting. I happen to have the BSA rear sight still set from shooting at clay pidgeons on our 200 yd berm. Hit a few of them too using bulk cheapo ammo, like Wincherster Dynapoints or CCI Blazer, forget which. But I must admit it was a windless day and I probably averaged one clay per 4 or so shots, once I'd run up the rear sight a great number of clicks. Knowing he was a better shot than me, gave him the rifle to try and told him sight was set for 200, just center front sight in the peep and you'll probably hit pretty close to the plate.

With first shot, he hit the plate. Anyway, about 8 shots later with what I recall was Match ammo, he'd shot around a 5" group with the rifle on the paper plate. Then he tried to buy the rifle off me. LOL

My favorite past 100 yard rifle is actually a 1872 Remington Rolling Block with a Lee Shaver .22LR insert in a 45-70 barrel. The rifle shoots the .22 to the same point of aim as the 45-70 so I can use the .22 for practice using the same sight setting.

BPrangetime013-1.jpg

My favorite past 100 yard rifle is actually a 1872 Remington Rolling Block with a Lee Shaver .22LR insert in a 45-70 barrel. The rifle shoots the .22 to the same point of aim as the 45-70 so I can use the .22 for practice using the same sight setting.

BPrangetime013-1.jpg

That's too darn cool!!! Another reason to get me a Quigly style rifle!!! Sure is MUCH more classy than my Rem. 40X .22LR with a 24x Leopold and a 40 MOA Burris Zee Ring set. ;^)

killahog, here are two pics of my single shot .22LR Remington 40X, sporting a Rifle Basix 8 oz trigger, Burris Zee rings with -20MOA on the front ring and +20MOA on the rear ring for a total of +40MOA (the scope is almost at it's bottom of adjustment!), and the 24x Leopold Benchrest scope with a 1/8 MOA dot, it is fully bedded just like you would do with a regular rifle. The stock IS walnut, however I wanted a more Cherry look, so I worked with the local Sherwin Williams to get a REALLY red stain. :^) Sorry it too so long.

Rem40X.jpg

Rem40Xb.jpg

I have a cz 452 style -it has the composite stock and nickel finish.
I put a 4x vortex crossfire on it ---its got to go --that little timber burris has me looking.
I plan on putting a suppressor on it -never had one- that way i can practice at the huntinting lease w/out my livestock/hogs hearing the shooting.
I'm looking forward to trying out some longrange shooting w/this cz.
Sighted in my cz17hmr yesterday and had slightly forgot how fun rimfires are to shoot.
Good thread here really enjoyed reading it!
Mike

Just started shooting this little MR Picuda/8-26x Horus Predator, and have enough up to get to 600 yds. with it reticle and turret. But most of the time it's shot at 200 and closer--

DSCN0159.jpg

I like my ruger 10/22 its not fancy, but tough as nails.

Archangel stock
Clark target barrel 18"
Trigger job 2.5 lbs
Nikon prostaff rimfire

This get me to aprox .75 at 100yds with mini mags

TKS
JPB

I use my CZ452 to shoot rabbits at 150+

Fitted with a Hawke 3-9x50 scope with map6 reticle and Parker Hale moderator, using Eley subs.

I love my CZ 455 FS. It has a Nikon Monarch 2-8X32 which fits it perfectly. The parallax is fixed at 100 which makes it a little tough for target shooting at 8X and 50 yards. I still manage to squeeze a .2"-.3" target from it now and then. Typical .22 though you get 2 or 3 fantastic groups and then one that goes all to hell. For longrange practicing the CCI MiniMag roundnose seems to be the best load I've found. I have numerous subsonic loads that shoot very well and are what I would use for hunting rabbits and squirrels but ringing the gong out past 100 the MiniMags get the call.