faster twist on a 22-250

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by saw, Dec 3, 2012.

1. saw

saw Member

This is my first post I have already gotten a ton of info from the sight and love it. I currently have a Rem 700 BDL 22-250 with a sporter barrel. I have thought of putting a barrel with a faster twist on it. I use it for calling coyotes but would like to reach out 500 + yards for spot and stalk and a suprise to the ones that hang up. I would like to keep the weight down. If I go with a 1 in 8 or 9 would I be stuck using 70 plus gr bullets. Or would a lighter bullet work? I have read that the Amax's are not really hunting rounds. Any thoughts on how fast of twist, am I wanting to much. I dont want to get it all done and say boy that was dumb! Thanks

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I have a 1:9 twist in my Savage Predator. I have shot 69 and 55 grain bullets with excellent accuracy. Pushing too much higher than 70 grains will need a 1:8. I'm not sure how well that twist handles the lighter bullets. I have no issue making accurate hits out to 500 yards with 55 grains.

3. orwapitihunter

orwapitihunter Well-Known Member

I have a Rem 700 that I chambered for 22-250 AI. It wears a 9 twist Hart barrel. I built the rifle to shoot 75gr Amax bullets and it does that very well. I get 1/4" three shot groups at 100 yards pushing the Amaxes at 3400 fps. Although I don't generally shoot lighter bullets, my fireform loads with 50gr TNTs or 69gr SMKs also shoot 1/4" groups (mid charge 22-250 data). I did form some brass with 50gr SX bullets loaded to max 22-250 data and blew up between 1/3 and half of them before they reached the target.
    My 8 twist .223 shoots 40gr Vmax loads almost as well as it does the 75 Amax loads.

4. saw

saw Member

Thanks for the info, Im not really looking to shoot the real light bullets just looking to shoot 55-69 grain bullets due a better selection of predator hunting bullets. Have a gunsmith doing some checking on barrels for me.

5. Zep

Zep Well-Known Member

Interesting regarding the AI. Can you tell us a little more about the Hart barrel?

Many thanks.

6. orwapitihunter

orwapitihunter Well-Known Member

The Hart barrel on my 22-250 AI is a 1 in 9" twist, stainless steel, Rem Varm contour, finished at 27".

7. gunaddict

gunaddict Well-Known Member

Mike that 22-250AI shoots awesome.

8. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

A 9 twist will get the 75 Amaxes to 500 with ease and turn your 22-250 into a whole different unit. For a calling rifle I would stay with the standard 22-250, an ai might get you a little more speed and the cases will need trimmed less often but will be fussier about feeding the second shot.
    The 75 Amax is a great killer!

9. ol mike

ol mike Well-Known Member

If you're going to hang around here -I would say go ahead and move up to a .243/6mm it will usually outrun most .224 inch bore guns and the recoil isn't anything to worry about. The .243" bore size is also a great whitetail round -it will knock deer down at 500yds and coyotes out as far as 600-700yds or more -plus if you get a hankering to try out some 1,000-yard shooting -no problem w/the right scope and bases.
    I have the same rifle as you 22-250 bdl sporterweight -when I got ready to have it rebarreled I got lazy and went w/the plain 22-250 again b/c I had dies/brass/bullets etc .
    About one hundred shots down the barrel in 4 years -just bored w/it I guess.
    If I could do it over I would go w/a 6 srs -i'll have to check on that name -but it's a 243win w/a longer neck -that keeps it from burning out the throat as fast.1-8" twist -105 amax -coyotes worst nightmare.
    The amax IS a hunting bullet but not for thick skinned heavy body/boned animals.
    At 500yds the 105gr amax will act like a hunting bullet -once- it slows down a little.
    Just don't ask it to be fur friendly -laf-.
    I'd recommend a #3 25" barrel -it's a mildly heavier sporterweight barrel and will help the gun lay nicely for longer shots and will swing well for coyotes that are moving .
    Good luck and welcome to LRHunting.
    Mike

Correction 6 SLR not ssr -read here if'n you want.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f26/6mm-br-vs-6mm-slr-beginer-lr-shooting-101971/

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012