new 22-250

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by tired, Mar 30, 2005.

1. tired

tired Active Member

just got a new remington vs in 22-250 what is the twist? what weight range of bullets for it?any factory ammo to try?

2. Chuckster

Chuckster Active Member

Congrats, I have owned 3 22-250's and if I had to pick the best varmint cartridge guess what it would be. My latest is a Win 70 HV stainless with a Leupold 8-25x50mm LR side focus and what a combo! It loves Winchester Supreme amo but I reload a 50 Gr Hornady vmax and 36 gr of IMR 4895 for 3800 fps and it shoots little bug holes in the .2's all day. And I have shot a couple of thousand of rounds thru it.
    By buddy says it's Haunted cause everything I point it at dies!
    Chuckster

3. Skinny Shooter

Skinny Shooter Well-Known Member

tired

1-14 twist
    40 to 55gr bullet weights
    When I shot factory I had used Remmy Premier Varmint Ammo. It's loaded with 50gr hornady vmax bullets. Shot pretty well for factory loads.
    Now Remington has this to replace it: http://www.remington.com/ammo/centerfire/premier_accutip.htm
    Haven't tried it.
    Are you going to reload?

4. tired

tired Active Member

i do not have the equipment yet but its on my christmas list

5. Jon

Jon Member

Once you become addicted to the 22-250 Rem You will have to reload just to afford to shoot. With groundhogs starting to show up you will began missing work and finding yourself to sick to go in on those sunny days. This leads to a reduction of in pay the check.Or worse termination,(hey if I get fired I can hunt every day) Gotta Go take care of something.Just My .02

6. Chuckster

Chuckster Active Member

Jon,
    couldn't agree more. I lived in NY for 15 years and my passion was hunting Chuck, moved to Missouri and no chucks, I am sick!!
    Chuckster

7. .264 win mag

.264 win mag Member

You have a good choice. I have had very good luck with the 55 gr v-max, 39.4 g., win-760, win l/r primer, win cases. I have about 4,000 rounds down the bore. That load is a little better in my shooter than the H-380. Try both see which your rifle likes the best. Seat the bullet abour .003 off the lands. Let us hear from you after you them! Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

Tired,
    I have the same rifle. It has the 1-14" twist. I have only tried bulles in the 40-55gr range. Mine hasn't shown a preference for the 55's at all. It absolutely sings with 40gr Ballistic Tips and 52gr Sierra MatchKings. I reload and haven't tried any factory in mine.
    I did try the Hornady 50gr V-Max (factory fodder) in a previous "Varminter" (.22-250Rem) that I used to own and it shot .5".
    I think you'll find the .22-250 is a pretty accurate caliber and fun to shoot. Good luck, keep us posted. Johnny K.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I myself have the same rig. Mine has shown it's favorite diet of 52 sierra HPBT Matchkings. Tried every 55 gr bullet on the market and the groups just opened up. It also like the Nosler 40 gr pills as well. H380 and IMR 4064 was the powders that worked best. H380 being a bit more picky when the weather changed. With the sierra 52 grain HPBT I was getting easy .5 accuracy.

Joe

10. 7Rumloader

7Rumloader Well-Known Member

I have a rig like that also and just did a small expansion test today with the wildcats in 45 and 52 grain and WOW! I will be doing some accuracy testing soon and will post results here and over in wilcat bullet expansion questions also. Mine loves the same as everybody elses rigs 40 grain BT's and 52 grain match kings but I use VihtaVouri powders ( N-130 and N-133 )to propell alot of mine along with the H-380 and Varget. These rigs are very fun to shot and great practice and also getting extra trigger time!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif