22 and 6 CM twist rates

GunBus

Hello all,
I'm currently looking at 2 custom builds. I have 3 actions (Kelbly Atlas Lite, Mack Brothers EVO and a Defiance Guardian) that I'm looking to build into a 22 CM and 6 CM. Still trying to decide on which action for what. My question is around barrel twist rate. Am I safer for both to do an 8 twist barrel rather than 7.5? I am looking at doing 22 or 24 inch CF barrels on both. With the 22 I am wanting to shoot up in the 80-90 grain range bullet but it would be nice to have a little flex with something in the 60 range if I wanted to. For the 6 I would look to be in that 110 grain range. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

I have a 22 creed in a 7 twist and so far I'm doing ok not shredding jackets off of the 80.5 grain Berger's. One of my favorites to shoot for sure with the 6 I'd run 7 and call it good if running the 110 atips or the 115 dtacs

If you spin them to fast you could rip jackets off I turn bullets would not make it to the target. I can't speak with any truth as I've never run anything lighter than 80.5 grains

7.5 for both, also
Sg's for 7.7 .224 & 8 .243
Screenshot (619).pngScreenshot (620).png
Sg.s for 7.5 both .224 & .243
Screenshot (626).pngScreenshot (625).png

A little quicker than 7.7 for .224's & 8 for .243's would get Sg's above "marginal stability" with certain bullets under adverse situations such as low temps. & high pressure.

My .22-.250's are 7.7 & I only shoot 75 grain bullets, selecting the 75 HELDM for low form factor & higher velocities. My 8 twist 6mm CM would get into the "marginal stabilty" with the Berger 105 & others under adverse situations such as low temps. & high pressure.

Two of my 6 Creedmoors have 1:8 twist and the third has 1:7.7 twist. Currently reload 55gr Vmax up to 115gr berger and everything in between. They all shoot good in my three rifles. As for my 22 Creedmoor i only run 55gr in a 1:12 twist. My 22 Creedmoor rifle and barrel was originally a 22-250 with a chamber problem, and a rechamber coreected my problem. My next 22 Creedmoor is a 22-243 middlestead rechamber project. Haven't shot it yet, more to follow. The bullet weight you plan to shoot will determine your twist you need. 1:7 is fast and you can shoot 55gr to about 80gr. Heavier bullets than 80gr will require you to go down to a 1:6.5 twist.

Is there any risk of losing some flexibility with smaller grain bullets going to a 7 twist?
I have a friend shooting a 6 Creedmoor with a 7 twist and he is experiencing about 30% failures with Hornady bullets not reaching the target!